Nauticam 6" vs 8" Dome port comparision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CoralKisser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Has anyone tried/compared the Nauticam 6" and 8" acrylic dome ports with the Tokina 10-17mm?
Im planning to buy one of these ports in the coming months and am favoring the 6 inch for its smaller size/weight etc.

Has anyone tried/compared the Nauticam 6" and 8" acrylic dome ports with the Tokina 10-17mm?
Im planning to buy one of these ports in the coming months and am favoring the 6 inch for its smaller size/weight etc.

I have the Nautican 6" dome port but I would recommend to stay with a Nikon lens, as I have only had problems in the past with Tokina. The right person to ask this question is Reef Photo in Florida. They are the North American dealer for Nautican. Ryan Cannon is the owner and has always been straight up on what is the right thing to use and do.

I prefer to shoot my Tokina 10-17mm behind a 8 inch dome (I use Aquatica). But it really depends on what your shooting and if your going to travel.

For the tokina 10-17mm.....which IS the most popular WA lens for DX cameras and a better lens than the Nikon 10.5mm FE, you have a choice a of a few lens Domes:

Nauticam 9inch, 8.5inch,6inch, 4.33inch

Zen 9inch, 8inch, 100mm

The most versatile dome would be the mini domes like the Nauticam 4.33inch and the Zen 100mm as you can add an extension ring and shoot the Tokina 10-17mm with a 1.4x TC for CFWA. The Nautciam 4.33inch being alot cheaper and lighter than all the other might be your fisrst choice. There has been some talk that mini domes have an issue with corner sharpness when at wider apertures but this isnt an issue when your doing CFWA as your shooting with narrow apertures and having the strobes in close.

I personally like the larger domes for shooting larger subjects which i have locally but dont like packing them then going overseas.

Regards Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom