advantage of Pennekamp SP over private dive charters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Granny Scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are planning a trip to Key Largo. I have heard the charter out of Pennekamp state park is much preferred over private dive charters.

Is that true? If so why?

Thanks

Last edited:
We are planning a trip to Key Largo. I have heard the charter out of Pennekamp state park is much preferred over private dive charters.

Is that true? If so why?

Thanks

you heard wrong in my opinion! they would be near the bottom of my list of recommended dive operators along with 2 others that i won't name. take the advice of the posters on your previous thread in reference to molasses reef trips. having said that, the snorkel boats and glass bottom boat based within the park do a fine job(remember you have to pay a park admission fee in addition to the dive trip),,,,,,,,,

the dive, snorkel and glass bottom boats are operated by a concessionaire(private company like all the other operators in the keys), not the state of florida.

reefman
key largo

I've been out with the op in the park several times (this was a couple of years ago) and they did a fine job, but they seem to only stick to very shallow reefs. If you are camping in the park, it'd be really easy and quick to get to the boat and dock.

For more recent trips in the last couple of years I've used Conch Republic, Silent World and Quiescence: all really really really good operators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom