Odd Story?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chennai

New
Reaction score
An acquaintance told me this story about a tek diving trip. I don't believe it but since I know nothing about tek diving or rescues, I thought I would ask you folks if the story is plausible. I hate being a sap!

Three tek divers go out with three other divers on a boat. The other divers, two instructors and a divemaster, wait on the boat watching for lift bags that the tek divers say they will release to signal that all is well. There's no sign of a lift bag for three hours. The folks on the boat become worried and call the dive center. The dive center sends another boat with two more tek divers on it. An airplane goes up to look for signs of the tek divers. The first boat returns to the dive center with the divemaster.

The new tek divers descend, find one of the tek divers disabled below 45 meters. The diver had experienced oxygen toxicity and convulsed spitting out his regulator. The rescuers attach a lift bag to the disabled diver and one of the instructors goes down to 45 meters to grab the disabled tek diver and take him to the surface. At the surface the instructor cuts off the tek diver's equipment, ditches some of his own, and gets the disabled diver to the boat. The instructor gives the tek diver oxygen while the boat races to shore. The disabled diver is popped into the chamber with another person. One person stays outside the chamber to explain what happened.

The two original tek divers are tracked down by the two rescuing tek divers using a signal from a gps unit on one of the original tek divers. They are found to be well but are miles away from the original dive site having been pushed there by an underwater current.

Eventually a lift bag is either found or asserted to have been released by the original tek divers to signal that one diver was disabled. The bag never made it to the surface because they didn't adequately fill it. Having released the bag, the original tek divers continued on their dive.

Not quite sure how "The bag never made it to the surface because they didn't adequately fill it." As a very small amount of air in a lift bag at depth, becomes a very full SMB as it rises, and continually expands.

Never heard of divers simply marking a disabled buddy, then abandoning them, continuing their dive.

Several things about the story do not ring true.

Yes but you gotta love Hollywood :D

Not quite sure how "The bag never made it to the surface because they didn't adequately fill it." As a very small amount of air in a lift bag at depth, becomes a very full SMB as it rises, and continually expands.

Never heard of divers simply marking a disabled buddy, then abandoning them, continuing their dive.

Several things about the story do not ring true.

Yes but you gotta love Hollywood :D

Ya, I always felt sorry for the bag guys, in the movies. Immagine how unfair it was when a mere 5 or 6 of them, armed only with high power, fully auto weapons were forced to go up against Starski and Hutch, armed with pistols. Terribly outclassed those Hollywood bad guys were every time, having to face such devastating, and accurate firepower, from Hollywood's famous "eternal clip" equipped handguns .

An acquaintance told me this story about a tek diving trip. I don't believe it but since I know nothing about tek diving or rescues, I thought I would ask you folks if the story is plausible. I hate being a sap!

Three tek divers go out with three other divers on a boat. The other divers, two instructors and a divemaster, wait on the boat watching for lift bags that the tek divers say they will release to signal that all is well. There's no sign of a lift bag for three hours. The folks on the boat become worried and call the dive center. The dive center sends another boat with two more tek divers on it. An airplane goes up to look for signs of the tek divers. The first boat returns to the dive center with the divemaster.

The new tek divers descend, find one of the tek divers disabled below 45 meters. The diver had experienced oxygen toxicity and convulsed spitting out his regulator.
Convulsing to the point of spitting out a regulator normally equals a certain fatality. IF a very aware and responsive buddy is close enough to get the reg back in and hold it there and the convulsing diver hasn't swallowed water yet there might be a chance. It's not something I'd bet on and I certainly wouldn't bet on a second group of divers being able to recover someone who experienced this.
The rescuers attach a lift bag to the disabled diver and one of the instructors goes down to 45 meters to grab the disabled tek diver and take him to the surface. At the surface the instructor cuts off the tek diver's equipment, ditches some of his own, and gets the disabled diver to the boat. The instructor gives the tek diver oxygen while the boat races to shore. The disabled diver is popped into the chamber with another person. One person stays outside the chamber to explain what happened.
Shooting someone to the surface with a lift bag seems like a great way to embolise. Chambers fix DCS, not DEAD.
The two original tek divers are tracked down by the two rescuing tek divers using a signal from a gps unit on one of the original tek divers. They are found to be well but are miles away from the original dive site having been pushed there by an underwater current.
Being pushed off course due to current, plausible. Tracking with an underwater GPS, not so much.
Eventually a lift bag is either found or asserted to have been released by the original tek divers to signal that one diver was disabled. The bag never made it to the surface because they didn't adequately fill it. Having released the bag, the original tek divers continued on their dive.
Any amount of air is going to cause the bag to reach the surface. Bags are pretty much neutral and air expands as it goes up. It takes very little air in a bag for it to be fully inflated on the surface when shot from technical depths.

My guess - There is probably a grain of truth to the story, and your friend who told it to you is a bovine oyster, weaving a pearl of bull puckey around that tiny grain.

Reactions: Jax
Tracking with an underwater GPS, not so much

I read it that they were on the surface by this time... bearing in mind it's several hours later

Not quite sure how "The bag never made it to the surface because they didn't adequately fill it." As a very small amount of air in a lift bag at depth, becomes a very full SMB as it rises, and continually expands

It's possible if it was an open-bottom bag

As for the rest of the story...

You forgot duct tape. They taped the disabled diver's reg in his mouth . . .

:joke:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom