Choosing a wing/ Bladder size/lbs - Express Tech BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stewfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Ok I have wanted to get the Zeagle express tech BCD/ backplate for a year or two now. I'm going to get it in the next couple days once I figure out this question. I couldn't find any discussions on the subject. Although, it's more of a backplate/wing than BCD.

Post about Express Tech Details for your information:
Express Tech - Backplate BCs - BCs - Zeagle Dive Systems

How would I begin to decide which size bladder size to get? I'd like to plan for the worst case, diving in Pacific NW(where I grew up and visit). I assume I need a larger bladder for colder waters as the volume would be more or less dense depending on temp. I live in FL now though.

The options are 24#, 35#, and 44# lift wings

The 44 lb would be larger which semi defeats the purpose of buying the rig that weighs in at around 4lbs + or - depending on options

Express Tech discussion For your Info/ Interest:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...-anyone-familiar-zeagle-express-tech-bcd.html

I imagine 44# is also more versatile for double tanks, pony, etc

I ask because all the stuff I have read people say the 24lb wing works fine, even for big guys. However the site I am getting a great deal on a new regulator rig only has the BCD in the 44lb option, which got me thinking it might be better for long term versatility. ALSO, No price difference However maybe the larger bladder might move around more(left to right) or be harder to dump from air getting stuck in a corner????

If I got a bracket or had one made that allowed for dual tanks would the 44lb bladder be far enough out of the way to have an effective area that would expand off to the sides? I assume some of the inner section might be squished by the side of the tanks.

ADDED INFO
The Express Tech is an ultra light weight, super compact traveling BC pack with features never before found in a rig this small. The unique back plate is reinforced with a polymer material that gives the support needed and the flex desired for a comfortable fit. The system comes standard with a 24 pound compact bladder with elastic retractors to keep its' profile small. The Express Tech BC system, complete ready to dive, weighs in under 5 pounds and packs up amazingly small. Two sets of center plate grommets allow for attaching twin cylinder assemblies via the bolt and nut arrangement that most tech systems use. BCD is equipped with Dual Rear Pull Dump Valves and Zeagle's Power Inflator.

Larger optional bladders are available. Three different optional weight systems can be easily added to the back plate. The 20-pound "Zip-Touch" or Zeagle's Ripcord weight system can be added to the plate with stainless steel screw fasteners. Also our 20 pound rear weight system can easily be added to the back of the plate. An optional pad kit is available to increase comfort at the shoulders and back. This BC can be called the ultimate travel rig for any type of diving. Take it to the islands for lightweight reef and fun diving or explore the deep holes and ledges that require technical gear and twin cylinders.

I also don't believe it's worth $40 to get the deluxe straps which provide a chest backpack buckle that can be found at any outdoor backpack store as well as a snap buckle waist strap vs the old school weight belt buckle. I'm also not sure if I like the snap buckles on the shoulder straps. More weight and crap to deal with. I could just get a simpler chest strap vs having all the D rings and buckles added in the chest area, if I wanted one. Thoughts from any users?

Regular pic: Express Tech
Deluxe pic:Deluxe Version

Last edited:
Really, you are talking minimal size and weight differences on the bladders in question.

The 44lb bladder is obviously a little bigger, but it is still a single bag bladder and doesn't weigh a whole lot more than the 24lb bladder...

If you are wanting to dive it in the Pacific NW, I would probably go with the 44lb bladder, knowing that it will still pack up fine for travel, etc.

As for diving doubles with the rig - it can be done, but I certainly wouldn't rely on this system as your main doubles rig. I would get a metal backplate for that and use the
Express Tech for travel and recreational diving.

Thanks,

Scott

I guess the 44lb will work then....

What is the reasoning behind a larger bladder. With almost twice the lift of the 24# bladder, I imagine it's for dual tanks and a little better for cold water. Anyone know of any articles or general info to read on the subject? It seems very arbitrary at this point.

You might have missed the best choice for a bladder on the Express Tech, and that would be the 30# Donut. I have not had anyone dislike any of the other choices after actually diving them, but the Donut is very popular among divers who look at the options first hand. Plus it is much cooler looking.

+1 on the 30 lb donut. I got an ETD with the 30 lb donut from Captn Gene last January and it is sweet.

One of the things I really like about the ET is how easy it is to customize to your diving style and preference. I immediately started tinking with the setup and finally settled on the following: I took off the shoulder pads and chest strap. They seemed unnecessary and added just that bit more bulk and "stuff" to deal with. After diving with and and without the crotch strap a few times, I decided to keep it. I didn't really notice much slippage unless I really tried to buck the tank but it did feel just that much more secure with the crotch strap. I put a D-ring on each shoulder strap to hook up my octo, computer and whatever accessories I want to carry. Personally, I like the waist strap clip and the shoulder strap clips make it real easy to quickly slip out of the ET after a dive. I started off with the larger weight pockets, then went with the smaller ones to cut down on bulk and added a couple of weight pouches on the waist strap for trim.

Although I live in the Pacific NW, I rarely dive here and when I do I use my jacket BC because I prefer the extra bulk in cold water. But I just got back from diving for two weeks in Belize, and my ETD was so much better for travel than my jacket. It's about three pounds lighter and packs much flatter and smaller.

I went with the 44lb bladder and it's on it's way, since it was available and easy with the same price but the regular bladder vs the donut can be spread wider near the bottom to fit two tanks if need be and I'll have the extra lift should I ever need it. The donut just seemed to limit the adaptability of things if I needed the sides of the wing to flare out more, or possible option to move the sides in more for side mounting two tanks. Maybe slide one side over a bit to put pony bottle down there. We'll see

Just a thought

I wish Zeagle would have had more info about options, ideas, bladders, etc. I would have never known about the donut option, which makes you wonder what else I could have looked into. I love the slick D-ring one piece tri-bar thing that the guy added on the "last BCD you will ever need" thread.

Thanks for the info downing! I'm from PDX also. I do not miss the weather or the cold oceans :) I miss the mountains tho, rock climbing, rafting the upper Clackamas River, etc. O-well I'm off to go scalloping in 80+ deg water this weekend. Oh, what I would give to have a Kennedy school, Baghdad Theater, mission theater, here:)

I guess the 44lb will work then....

What is the reasoning behind a larger bladder. With almost twice the lift of the 24# bladder, I imagine it's for dual tanks and a little better for cold water. Anyone know of any articles or general info to read on the subject? It seems very arbitrary at this point.

There are two main reasons:

1. This uses the same exact bladder that the Stiletto BC uses, which we have always made in 35 and 44lb lifts, so we already had the bladders available.

2. People diving colder water wanted a little more lift, because they generally wear more weight.

Thanks,

Scott

Back
Top Bottom