A week in SE FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I arrived at FLL last night for a week of diving. Got in a shore dived today at Datura Ave in Lauderdale BTS. Ancient Mariner tomorrow, Spiegel Grove and Molasses out of Key Largo Friday. Is there anything special about West Palm dives or should I fill in the rest of my trip with Ft. Lauderdale dives?

It's all good. There are some nice boat dives off the Palm Beach Coast, and IMHO the shore dive at Blue Heron Bridge in Riviera Beach is a "must do". BHB has its own thread, and there's a night dive through Force E Divers Friday night. If you can't make that, the do it as a daytrip. I've always found it to be a pleaser for viewing the little stuff. Do you like octopi?

How was Datura? I was stuck at my desk watching their webcam and moderately consumed by jealousy...

I really enjoy Boynton especially if the vis is good. I like Kevin's boat (Underwater Explores), and he is on scubaboard... It is generally drift diving.

I think the diving gets better the farther N you go, but it also gets deeper. W palm has some great turtle action, but I've had dives at Jupiter were we've seen turtles. and sharks, and rays along with eels.... you get the idea.

Have Fun.....

It's all good. There are some nice boat dives off the Palm Beach Coast, and IMHO the shore dive at Blue Heron Bridge in Riviera Beach is a "must do". BHB has its own thread, and there's a night dive through Force E Divers Friday night. If you can't make that, the do it as a daytrip. I've always found it to be a pleaser for viewing the little stuff. Do you like octopi?

How was Datura? I was stuck at my desk watching their webcam and moderately consumed by jealousy...

Love octopi!!!

I can't make Friday, I have a marathon day planned at Key Largo. Driving to and from Lauderdale and four boat dives. Anyone up for BHB over the weekend?

Surf's been rough and my buddies have been talking up a BHB weekend dive. IMHO the best way to dive BHB is from about 45 minutes before to about 45 minutes after high tide. Saturday high tide is at 8:31 am, so if you're interested in a Saturday 7:45ish morning dive, PM for directions and we'll exchange phone numbers.

It's a fairly simple muck dive where we won't go much below 15 feet, but bring a camera if you have one. Check the BHB trolls thread for photos.

Last edited:
I like diving in Fort Lauderdale and Pompano but think that WPB or Jupiter are worth diving for a day: both locations are closer to the Gulf Stream than just about anywhere else in Florida which necessitates drift diving. You are more likely to see big stuff in Jupiter (goliath grouper, lots of turtles, big morays and sharks) and might stand a good chance of seeing the same in WPB (or Boynton for that matter). I have just found that the probability is higher in Jupiter. I dove with Jim Abernathy last saturday and saw scads of turtles in WPB. I am diving with Jupiter Dive Ctr tomorrow and have never been disappointed unless the current is ripping fast. The reef in WPB is a bit more colorful, in my opinion, and there are several shallower sites like the Breakers (60ft) that have prolific tropical fish that I find stunning.

As already mentioned, Blue Heron Bridge is a great shore dive as well: depending on the phase of the moon and height and strength of the tide, I've gotten a couple of three hour dives at the site. Two hours is pretty much my norm.

I arrived at FLL last night for a week of diving. Got in a shore dived today at Datura Ave in Lauderdale BTS. Ancient Mariner tomorrow, Spiegel Grove and Molasses out of Key Largo Friday. Is there anything special about West Palm dives or should I fill in the rest of my trip with Ft. Lauderdale dives?

Most divers that visit the keys, then visit Palm Beach, only visit the Palm Beach area from then on :)
Way more fish, way better health of ecosystems, much nicer diving, cooler area to be in when not diving.

Visit www.sfdj.com to see proof of this.

Thanks for the Saturday invitations. I was too wiped out from diving and driving yesterday to even turn on my laptop.

Most divers that visit the keys, then visit Palm Beach, only visit the Palm Beach area from then on :)
Way more fish, way better health of ecosystems, much nicer diving, cooler area to be in when not diving.

Visit www.sfdj.com to see proof of this.

a bit of an exaggeration don't you think. you sure are selling monroe county short, above and below the water( and yes i agree the diving in the palm beach area is terrific),,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom