Alert Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I get the magazine with my DAN membership. I like it. I have never seen the "best of" book, but it looks interesting.

As above, I get the DAN mag with the membership. It's a nice, slick magazine full of adverisements and stories about yonder places where I will never be able to go to and stuff that is interesting on occassion but most of the stuff is so technical and nurdish that I can't really comprehend what they are talking about. I guess that they have already discussed most of the stuff us simple people would understand and be interested in long ago. I go through mine and then leave it at the doctor's office. When I return the mag is gone either because someone took it or they threw it in the trash. Same with NRA's magazine. Mostly ads and maybe one or two interesting, to me, articles.

It is a pretty magazine, and like all magazines, ads predominate but in part that is what makes it good. The important point, though is to be a DAN member to get it, and I highly recommend every diver join. Insurance, medivac, assess to medical information, and they support a number of very worthwhile environmental and other causes.
Divemaster Dennis

I used to like Alert Diver. Since Stephen Frink took over as publisher, it's taken on more the look of the old Skin Diver magazine ... more about selling ads than promoting dive safety.

And some of the stuff I've seen in the mag over the years doesn't agree with me at all ... like telling someone who separates from their buddy and subsequently runs out of air to "buy a pony bottle" ... :confused: ... I'd prefer telling them how to not lose a buddy, and how to manage their gas so they don't have to deal with these problems in the first place ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It is a pretty magazine, and like all magazines, ads predominate but in part that is what makes it good. The important point, though is to be a DAN member to get it, and I highly recommend every diver join. Insurance, medivac, assess to medical information, and they support a number of very worthwhile environmental and other causes.
Divemaster Dennis
Yup ... that's an excellent point. DAN insurance is something I advise all my students to consider. I think it's one of the best values in recreational scuba diving ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom