Need a probe and bell clinger accessory

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miserkris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking for a probe or metal stick to anchor myself in currents and take pics.
What's the best multi use tool there is?

Also need a bell like thing to alert others in an emergency. I have a whistle but then you need to be full of air to blow into the whistle, I also tried a tank banger but that doesn't get people attention since it's a muffled sound...

Please advise THX

The BFK serves both rolls well. It won’t actually anchor you, that will take some sort of grapple hook and harness arrangement to be really hands free, but you can totally jam it into the rock and run the camera with your other hand. Don’t be doing that on reefs or wrecks of course! Those knives always have a metal pommel on the other end that will make quite the racket if you want to annoy your buddy, like a tank banger but even bang-ier. It’s also great for stabbing sharks, spreading peanut butter, impressing chicks, controlling buoyancy (as weight), fighting pirates, cutting fishing line, looting artifacts, all sorts of things.

The BFK serves both rolls well.
You can also just add an extra 14# of lead,
Cheaper than any reef skewer.

Divers Direct sells a small reef hook that comes with a lanyard and brass clip for about 22 dollars. they also have several signal devices

What environment are you needing to anchor yourself? Mud, rocks, rocky sand, sand, coral, wrecks, etc all offer different challenges for holding onto. Secondly, do you want to be tied off to the "anchor" or just set it and hold on with one hand?

Are you wanting to signal above or below the surface? Who are you trying to signal?

Bells work pretty good for attention getting under water. Tie it to your rig and the just pop the magnetic cap off and give it a few jingles.
Screenshot_20231114_052201_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Or you could get a dive alert. They're "surface only" but work under water as well (mine does)

What environment are you needing to anchor yourself? Mud, rocks, rocky sand, sand, coral, wrecks, etc all offer different challenges for holding onto. Secondly, do you want to be tied off to the "anchor" or just set it and hold on with one hand?

Are you wanting to signal above or below the surface? Who are you trying to signal?

Bells work pretty good for attention getting under water. Tie it to your rig and the just pop the magnetic cap off and give it a few jingles.
View attachment 810656

Or you could get a dive alert. They're "surface only" but work under water as well (mine does)
Hi ..just wanna anchor into sand and hold on to the stick while taking pics or even staying in one spot while there's a current...

I wanna signal others in an emergency like running outta air 😂
I'll check that Bell thanks....

Hi ..just wanna anchor into sand and hold on to the stick while taking pics or even staying in one spot while there's a current...

I wanna signal others in an emergency like running outta air 😂
I'll check that Bell thanks....
I find the bell to be decent at drawing the attention of fin thieving seals and dolphins.

You could use a poker stick that is clipped into a gear keeper for easy retraction. Something like this. I'm not sure exactly what it's called.

20231117_195948.jpg

View attachment 810656
I've got one of those Scuba Choice bells also -- they work great, just be sure to check the knots (almost had my lid/cover fall off once).

Look for muck sticks. Aluminum ones with a ring and bolt snap are a good starting point. Once you get one, please place it carefully to avoid damaging corals or other fragile creatures.

Tapping a muck stick on your tank or camera housing is a pretty good way to get your buddy’s attention without adding another piece of equipment.

Lance

Back
Top Bottom