Where to go in Fla?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradMM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was looking at Ft. Lauderdale because that's where SW Airlines flies (I may have free ticket!) but I'm open. Many years ago, family and I did a trip down the east coast all the way to Key West diving along the way. Does it matter much where I go? It all looks good to me!

Brad in HOT, DRY TEXAS!

Southwest also flies into Panama City. There are lots of good wrecks in the area if you can afford to take the charters out. Not a ton of shore diving if that is what you are looking for though.

+ 1 more Panama City Beach. I have been out with all the charters there here is a link to the best shop/charter in Panama City Beach.

Panama City Dive Charters- Dive Shop

Well, if you had posted "Where to go in Michigan?", I could have suggested that you go to Hell. Southwest doesn't fly into Cackleberry Airport there so you'd have to fly into Deetroit and battle your way from there into Hell.
But seeing as you're already in Texas, maybe the idea of going to Hell is a a little redundant. This time of year, Hell is definitely cooler than Texas.
There is though, a LOT of diving up and down the coast not too far from FLL. Panama City Beach is probably full of Texans this time of year escaping to the wonders of the Redneck Riviera. All depends on what else you want to do.

Panama City has good wrecks, but is not really known for coral reefs, in fact it does not have any.

I think Lauderdale is a perfect destination. You have very good shore diving right there (LBTS). Lauderdale is like 1 1/2 hours to Key Largo.

IMO the Keys have the best diving in FL, and you should go there for at least a day or two. If you have never been to the Keys a trip to Key West is not a bad idea. The trip on the coastal hwy is fun and Key West is a trip.

The diving is also good from Jupiter to Miami, but I think it gets better the farther north you go. Boynton has great diving as does Jupiter both North. Jupiter is like 1 1/2 hours north of Lauderdale if memory serves.

You will have to make the call, but Panama City is my last choice for diving in FL. Check out the keys diving thread.....

Panama City has good wrecks, but is not really known for coral reefs, in fact it does not have any.

I think Lauderdale is a perfect destination. You have very good shore diving right there (LBTS). Lauderdale is like 1 1/2 hours to Key Largo.

IMO the Keys have the best diving in FL, and you should go there for at least a day or two. If you have never been to the Keys a trip to Key West is not a bad idea. The trip on the coastal hwy is fun and Key West is a trip.

The diving is also good from Jupiter to Miami, but I think it gets better the farther north you go. Boynton has great diving as does Jupiter both North. Jupiter is like 1 1/2 hours north of Lauderdale if memory serves.

You will have to make the call, but Panama City is my last choice for diving in FL. Check out the keys diving thread.....

+1 What RonFrank said!

Wrecks, reefs, shore dives plus tons of other stuff to do while your gear is not getting wet! Can beat South Florida & The Keys, but I'm biased:D

hobe sound/stuart is where vis starts dropping off. I say jupiter to key largo, see about spending a day or two in jupiter/wpb, day or two in Ftlauderdale, then key largo

+2 what RonFrank posted. Upper Keys are great. Pompano, West Palm, Jupiter are interesting too if you have extra time.

Base yourself at LBTS and enjoy all the South Florida diving from Jupiter to Key Largo.

You might want to pick up a copy of Ned Deloach's Diving Guide to Underwater Florida , it has all the Florida dive sites listed (except Disney).

---
- FB-Florida Scuba Diver

Panama City Beach is probably full of Texans this time of year escaping to the wonders of the Redneck Riviera.

I thought that was the Gulf Coast along the shore of Texas! :wink:

ALL I want to do is get into some relatively clear water and get underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom