PADI Instructors, what did it cost you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harbour

Reaction score
I realize that it will be instructor dependant but...

What would you say it cost you (financially) to become an instructor, not including your equipment.

Basically in instruction and dive costs?

Thanks in advance,

Harbour

i'm not an Instructor so i cant answer your question but are you wanting to know the cost just for Instructor or all the way from OW to Instructor? Scuba and Dream just said 2k for him but i bet he spent close to that just getting to that point.

steve

Do you want people to include the cost of prior training? And prior diving? The costs for a non-diver to go all the way through to instructor are much greater than the costs for a certified divemaster (or equivalent).

Zept

I got certified originally five years ago as Open Water Diver. I didn't dive much after that until I went to dive schoolin February, '03. There I started again in open water and went through instructor with NAUI for ten weeks. I came out as a NAUI instructor, YMCA referral instructor, DAN O2 instructor, certified equipment tech. I got some good experience there and the best instruction. In all, including room for ten weeks...I paid about.....hmm....$12,000. I will be paying for that for a good long while. I think the experience that I got there and the experiences I had there made it worth it...as long as I can pay it back. :)

Ooops...now I realize that you were asking about PADI instructors. Oh well....that gives you an idea at least. :)

For Me

From OW to Instructor including gear, Hydros, Service of gear everything but boat dives and trips I would say over 20k Australian easily.

Yes, you read me right. Now don't get me wrong...it is a VERY intense course. There is a lot to be learned and they don't cut corners. For the first few weeks, you have a full 40 hour+ work week. The last half doing rescue through instructor is very intense and only allows about 1 day off per week. You usually spend that day off studying physics of preparing for the next day's oral presentation so there isn't much time for rest. Don't get the wrong idea...this isn't a slack course by any means. Very thorough course and you get your money's worth in my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom