Jellyfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OBXDIVEGUY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Can anyone give an update on the jellyfish situation off Fort Lauderdale? It has sucked pretty bad lately.

Not sure about Lauderdale but dove West Palm last week (Monday-Thursday) and they were pretty bad. One dive we came up to do a safety stop and had to swim around the whole time looking for a way up through the cloud of jelly fish just to surface. Finally found an opening and made our way up. Luckly the boat was about 150 ft away. Made for a quick exit.

numbers today somewhat less than this past weekend, however, still fairly dense off north key largo(inshore of the elbow) in 15-20FT(freediving), on the inside patches this AM. and they're headed north,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Those things make for a lousy surface swim on the beach dives. Sounds like i'll be scrubbing some plans. Bummer.

still everywhere.... ran into a wall of them today so I turned around and headed back to the beach decided was better to call the dive and not get stung. hopefully they will be gone soon. makes beach diving very unpleasant hah I havnt even bothered with trying from a boat

Did a boat dive off John Pennekamp in Key Largo 2 days ago and a shore dive off Phil Foster in Palm Beach today and both spots were just loaded with jellyfish. Wouldn't go in the water anywhere south of Cocoa without a wetsuit.

EDIT: South deerfield beach also had numerous jellyfish. Not as many as Key Largo or Palm Beach, but still quite a few

Last edited:
same story, observed numerous moon jellies inside elbow reef and north/north, freediving this AM(12-20FT).

reefman
key largo

As of a few days ago, took a 2 dive trip off Miami Beach. 1st dive we didn't notice the. At the beginning of the dive and then all of a sudden everywhere. Below 95' OK, but as we began to surface and did our stops it was madness. Especially at 20' and up. I was in NO suit and when I got back on the boat I had literally like 60 stings. I was the only one without a suit and got it the worst, but everybody on board was a victim as well.

On the 2nd dive at 50' they weren't again bad at depth but everywhere at the surface. Made the dives really uncomfortable

Haven't been in the water since the. :(

The invasion basically came the night that we had that very bad storm here in Miami, and they have not left yet.

:idk:

I was just out tonight in Pompano and they were everywhere from the shore to the drop off (which is as far as I went). They were pretty thick from about 1'-10' deep with a few stragglers a little deeper. The swim out was awful, didn't notice them until we were past the swim buoys and dropped shorty after the first few stings. Swim back in was worse, they were top to bottom once were were about 10'.

My wetsuit doesn't cover my ankles, they got it pretty bad. Got a few in the back of the neck, my buddy a few times in the face. Pain didn't last too long.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom