Osborne Reef - Tires for Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A bit off topic, but I found this diagram showing the differences in fishes using natural and artificial reefs in Florida:
gr2.jpg

Basically, this means that Tomtates and Porkfish are the most opportunistic species and love artificial reefs, while French Angels are the most conservative and stick to the natural. Taken from here.

Interesting..and the study is from Broward County.. so relevant. Thanks
Nearshore, I see almost all those fish both on artifical reefs and natural.. Only ones that are not nearshore fishes are the purple reeffish and creole wrasse. Rock beauties can be found on the eastern edge of the nearshore reefs (beach diving)

I wonder if anyone has done a study on the effect the tire chemical has on the ecology and fish in the area

I wonder if anyone has done a study on the effect the tire chemical has on the ecology and fish in the area
I found a study that demonstrated that some chemicals in shredded rubber can be toxic to marine life. However, this is a model study and they admit they do not know what the real concentrations of these chemicals in sea water are.

A bit off topic, but I found this diagram showing the differences in fishes using natural and artificial reefs in Florida:
gr2.jpg

Basically, this means that Tomtates and Porkfish are the most opportunistic species and love artificial reefs, while French Angels are the most conservative and stick to the natural. Taken from here.

What is the unit on the x-axis?

A further question would be what may still be leaching out after sitting on the ocean floor for the past 50 years. They may be leached out by now.

A further question would be what may still be leaching out after sitting on the ocean floor for the past 50 years. They may be leached out by now.
If they’re there, they’re leaching. Who knows how much and what effect its having on the reefs. They’re never all coming out so this discussion is probably moot.

They’re never all coming out so this discussion is probably moot.
There is a chance someone concerned with the ecology will develop a plan to remove the rest of the tires. Now that may be a long shot, but a possibility.

There is a chance someone concerned with the ecology will develop a plan to remove the rest of the tires. Now that may be a long shot, but a possibility.
There is also a chance that the NY Jets could win next year’s Superbowl.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom