Recommendations for OBX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stang225

Reaction score
Hi All,

Will be in the Outer Banks at Kitty Hawk during the second week in September. Can anyone recommend a good dive operation? Also any experience with water temps this time of the year.

Thanks

Kev

The Outer Banks Dive Center!!!! They are the best and are the first place I ever dove! The shore dive, "the Huron", can be a great dive if vis. is good. Water temps I would suspect are in the upper 60's or lower 70's. Tell Bill Mcdermott that Bill Adams said hey! If you want to go out of Hatteras I would recommend Outer banks Diving. John and Amy Pieno run a great boat also. But OBX Dive Center would be closer and would hit most of the same wrecks.

I went out with OBX Dive Center in July. Top notch operation. I'd highly recommend them. The shop is in Nags Head and the docks where the boat leaves from is about 15 or 20 minutes from there.

OBX Dive Center is a good operation, I went out with them a couple year ago, but diving out of Nag Head you are in the Labrador current and the water will be cold and green (50's and 60's at depth). I stay in Duck (will be there next week) and drive the extra distance to get to Hatteras where you will hit the gulf stream, 80 degree blue water. Worth the drive in my opinion. I am diving with Outer Banks Diving again this year.

If you track Outer Banks Dive Center on Facebook, you can see their daily dive reports with viz and temps. It's a great op and tell then Justin says hi! They are good friends of mine there.

. . but diving out of Nag Head you are in the Labrador current and the water will be cold and green (50's and 60's at depth). I stay in Duck (will be there next week) and drive the extra distance to get to Hatteras where you will hit the gulf stream, 80 degree blue water. Worth the drive in my opinion.
A good point. If you are in the area for a whole week, I would suggest you consider doing both -a 'north' charter out of Nags Head, and a 'south' charter out of Hatteras. The north charter will probadly be in colder water (60s), but you can dive wrecks like the U-85 and the Jackson, for example, both of which are good dives. Out of Hatteras, definitely recommend the Dixie Arrow and the Proteus if nothing else, and the water will be warmer.

If you are there the second week of the month, but the first full week in Sep - i.e. 5-9 Sep - see if you can get a spot on JT Barker's boat (Under Pressure) one day. It is definitely one of the best boats and captains you could ask for. He heads back to Va Beach that following weekend, but is diving out of Hatteras early in that week. If not OB Diving is a good choice, as mentioned previously.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom