Question Shore dive in North Carolina for newbie as first post-cert dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

evan3168

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all - been lurking on scuba board since before my certification and I’m fresh off of SDI Open water + Nitrox last month. I’m vacationing this week in Outer Banks, North Carolina, USA and was considering doing the shore dive that Roanoke Island Dive Shop offers in Kitty Hawk / Nags Head, but it would be my first dive post-certification. Additionally, I’d be doing it solo so I’d have to pair up with an instabuddy (I asked to hire an instructor but they said they were understaffed and couldn’t get me one).

Has anybody done this dive recently that can comment on typical visibility and difficulty of entry/exit?

I was taught shore entry but we didn’t practice it with surf because I did my OW dives at Lake Phoenix, VA. The conditions there were about 10 ft vis. Would that be similar?

Hey, welcome to Scubaboard and congrats on your recent certification. Hopefully the start of many years of enjoyment.

I don’t have any experience with South Carolina, but would encourage you to be very transparent with the shop about skill level - and it sounds like you already have. And ask them for tips on the entry. 100’s of shore dives for me and I still flop around sometimes when donning fins in the water. So don’t worry if you aren’t perfect. Watch what others are doing and be a good follower.

And regarding the instabuddy comment. You might ask the shop to identify someone in the group with lots of experience or just watch and see who seems really organized, and then don’t be shy. Tell them about your experience and ask that person to be your buddy. While some people on here seem really crabby as they hide behind the internet, I’m confident you will find most divers to be friendly and willing to help.

best of luck!

I am considering the same and interested in others thoughts. We debated using a dive shop trip and then perhaps redoing it ourselves just to build confidence but not sure where in NC is best as our family is there and we could be flexible.

I did some inshore trips out of beaufort as my first post OW dives and it was great. I’ve read about that shore dive and I suspect it would be fine. I would have done it readily.

A little more swimming since it’s a shore dive. As long as you dive one of the shallow wrecks off NC it should be fine. Variability in operator practice around here regarding dive Sherpa’s. My first dives did not have a guide. Which I was fine with and the hard bottom was at 70 feet with minimal current and great vis. Off shore is a different story as far as I can tell. I’m not gonna venture out there until I’m confident I can handle it and my instructor says my skills are up to snuff.

I won't recommend going solo on your 1st dive anywhere. I haven't done this particular dive, but in NC visibility varies greatly and can change instantly.

Tropical Cyclone Idalia should be passing by NC this weekend.

So you got that going for you, which is nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom