Tilting to the right, cannister light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ozwald

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I bought a set of doubles, OMS 98's to be precise. Took em out for a test drive the other day and found that I wanted to roll to the right all the time. Here's the skinny....Drysuit, Halcyon (aluminum BP) with 5 lbs in each pocket, I did have my canister light (Halcyon) fastened to the right hand tank on the outside of the tank with an Argon bottle strap. Would the canister make such a difference as to make me want to roll to the right? I was in freshwater.

How heavy is your canister light? If we're talking about 2-3lbs or even 1lb far outside your body profile then yes it could very well pitch you off trim.

Have you tried mounting it on your waist strap? Thread the canister through the free end of your waist strap and use a free weightbelt buckle to keep it secure against your back plate.

So I bought a set of doubles, OMS 98's to be precise. Took em out for a test drive the other day and found that I wanted to roll to the right all the time. Here's the skinny....Drysuit, Halcyon (aluminum BP) with 5 lbs in each pocket, I did have my canister light (Halcyon) fastened to the right hand tank on the outside of the tank with an Argon bottle strap. Would the canister make such a difference as to make me want to roll to the right? I was in freshwater.

Easy to tell - go in with the canister unmounted, being careful to hold it to the centerline of your body. If you don't roll, that was it.

How heavy is your canister light? If we're talking about 2-3lbs or even 1lb far outside your body profile then yes it could very well pitch you off trim.

Have you tried mounting it on your waist strap? Thread the canister through the free end of your waist strap and use a free weightbelt buckle to keep it secure against your back plate.

Weight: 4lb. (1.8kg)
Buoyancy: -1.75lb. (-0.8kg)

Yeah I guess it's like having an additional 4 lbs of weight on one side. I have mounted it on my waist. With the Halcyon weight pockets it just gets a little crowded. I think I'm just going to try turning it in so it's right in between the tanks. I'll just have to rely on my buddy to turn it on for me.

4lbs eh? It's probably the can.

I forgot about your pocket weights, that doesn't make it ideal to have a canister on the waist as well.
If you can't find any other ideal set up with the things you have, you might try looking into a ditchable harness system for your weights, such as the DUI harness.
That or a weightbelt. :wink:

Including the negative buoyancy of the light, you have ~7 pounds of weight on your right, and 5 on your left. Move 1 pound of lead from your right pocket to your left pocket and that should level you out at 6/6. Or just switch to 3 pounds of lead in your right pocket since you now have 2 extra pounds of gear on that side.

Back
Top Bottom