Underwater Hockey Underwater Rugby Freediving training or Just Plain Fun UNDERWATER

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tk_191

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello Everyone:
Just a quick heads up for anyone in the Central Texas area, or anyone looking to come this way. We have a fledgling group of underwater hockey players in the Killeen and Fort Hood area. Currently we play primarily underwater hockey on Saturdays from 930-11am at the Abrams Gym on the Fort Hood Army Base. They gym is located at the intersection of
62nd St and Support Ave. Bldg # is: 23001. We have to date a total of 6 individuals playing (4-women and 2 men). We have a variety of playing abilities, our most experienced player has played underwater rugby for 11+ years, another player has played underwater hockey for 2 years and the others have played for a couple months. Anyone 18yrs and older is welcome to play both men and women. We encourage any and everyone to come play. You do not have to have any sort of "world-class" underwater skills, or even be an extreme sports addict. However it does require anyone willing to come play a desire to try something new to supplement your already present addiction to being underwater and holding your breath, have LOADS OF FUN and continue your pursuit of getting fitter. We also have a facebook page: Look for the "Killeen Underwater Club". We have the sticks, pucks and gloves for underwater hockey and the goals and balls for underwater rugby. Just looking for those like-minded people like us who love to be on the bottom of the pool having a great time, making lots of friends and getting fit.

Feel free to email Brendon for questions, or interest at: tk_191@yahoo.com

Check out this article which explains more information about our club.

Hockey submerged: Club meets weekly at Abrams - Sports - Fort Hood Sentinel

Back in 1970 we started every pool session of my YMCA scuba course with 15 minutes of underwater hockey.

Don't let the name of the game be deceptive. Underwater hockey is not like its ice-related cousin. It is indeed "NON-CONTACT"!!! That is not to say that you won't have the occasional "bumping", but that is accidental versus intentional. Has the thought ever crossed your mind of..............."how do I increase my breath hold time"? Since playing I was able to very quickly increase my underwater breath hold times from 30-seconds to well over a minute while actually playing the game. I've also done other self tests, I can do a full 100meters underwater with a single breath. Now that may not sound like much, however, it is significant considering that this was done after playing a full 6-on-6 game. So for all you freedivers either experienced, or beginner, if trying to break through a certain time barrier of a breath hold, how much of an advantage might it be if you can hold your breath for a minute, or longer while exerting yourself..............then what would happen if your completely relaxed, with a lowered HR during an actual freedive? Constant exposure to exertional hypoxia with increasing bottom time, will only serve to assist in extending resting hypoxic effort and thus your overall bottom time.
On the other hand Underwater Rugby is NOT, NON-CONTACT. It is afterall a contact sport, because of having to release the ball from your opponents possession. This does not mean that they can be punched, bitten etc... It does mean that you can grab them, tie them up until they either give up possession of the ball, score a goal, or pass to a teammate.

We had several people in San Diego at Mission Beach with the San Diego underwater hockey club that were in their 30's, 40's 50's and I think one, or two in their 60's playing extremely well and in some cases dominating over the younger players. Extremely fit, very fast, but also great instructors of the sport.
Check out the following website: www.underwaterhockeytourist.com, there are multiple clubs all over the U.S. and international as well. So it's quite possible to find a club just about anywhere. Everyone in the sport that you' might meet is very willing to help anyone interested in the sport to help generate interest, willing to teach and absolutely willing to let those just new to the sport come and play. Guaranteed lots of "puck-time", and overall a great time and absolutely fabulous workout. Give it a try.... I promise you, you won't be disapointed.:):):)

Had a great turnout last Saturday on 8-27-11. Had a total of 6 people show. The beginners (women) took to underwater hockey very quick and had a great time. The group will be meeting again on Saturday 9-3-11 from 0930-1130am at Abrams pool, bldg# 23001 at FT Hood Army Base, in Killeen TX. Anyone looking to try, just show up with mask, snorkel and fins.
Feel free to email us at: tk_191@yahoo.com for questions, concerns, or interest in joining us. It's totally free and certainly no obligation. However, we can't guarantee that you won't totally love it after trying it once. Hope to see ya underwater...:)

Back
Top Bottom