Certified 10 yrs ago -- want to get current again -- best way??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jo8243

Contributor
Reaction score
I was naui certified 10 years ago and haven't been on a dive since. I'm going on a cruise to the caribbean next month and would like to do an easy dive down there. What's the best way to get current again? Are there any recurrency courses that are typicall taught by most dive shops?

Also, what proof of currency do most dive shops require?

Thanks!

Im not too sure about NAUI.. but I'm pretty sure your dive shop of choice will offer a rather inexpensive "Scuba Refresher Course". These are specifically designed for divers that have been inactive for a couple of years...

I would also check the cruise ship you will be on, they may have an instructor onboard that may teach refresher courses..etc.

Check into it.. you shouldn't have much of a problem getting a refresher.

A competent operator would insist on a refresher course, at least. So much has changed, I'd suggest on repeat the certification course if you're going into diving seriously, or a "Resort Course" if you just want to do a couple of dives.

have fun, don

jo8243 once bubbled... I was naui certified 10 years ago and haven't been on a dive since. I'm going on a cruise to the caribbean next month and would like to do an easy dive down there. What's the best way to get current again? Are there any recurrency courses that are typicall taught by most dive shops?

Thanks!
I came back after a layoff and took AOW. There are "rusty diver" courses, but AOW gives you something to show for it.

I hear some resorts ask for logs. The last one I went to was more interested in my OW card and MasterCard.

I had a 11 year span. I took an OW and did no diving for 11 years. I decided to redo the OW in its entirity and am glad I did. There were some subtle changes and LOTS that I had forgotten not to mention having to develop the skills from scratch again

Most LDS offer refresher courses. If your going on a cruise you need to log a few dives before you go. You have to show proof that you have dove in the last 6 months or they will make you do all the skills before they let you dive. Make sure you bring your Cert. Card or they won't let you dive at all. Unless you take a discover scuba which is a 1 Tank dive with a instructor and they max depth is 40ft. and it cost more for the one dive than the normal 2 tank dive.

Don Burke once bubbled...
The last one I went to was more interested in my OW card and MasterCard.

Ain't it true! Before I got into Nitrox, half of them just wanted the credit card, not asking to see any C-card. Guess I looked like a certified diver? :goofy:

I wanted to give the fellow safe suggestions, though.

don

Your C Card is good for life no matter what agency...for refreshers, I do it on a one to one...the time, changes in equipment, any new rules, what diving operations are out there changes to the dive tables (doppler vs est Navy tables) & Nitrox are topics I talk in my classes. Then it's familiaztion of newer equipment and what is now frowned on...no octopus...no pressure and depth gages...BC technology over the years and how to use them!

All the recert's I have done over the past several years have been very happy with the results. I no way question their previous training...just try to add new experiences and mold them to the "New World".

Joe

jo8243 once bubbled...
I was naui certified 10 years ago and haven't been on a dive since. I'm going on a cruise to the caribbean next month and would like to do an easy dive down there. What's the best way to get current again? Are there any recurrency courses that are typicall taught by most dive shops?

Thanks!

By next month, about the only thing you have time for is a scuba refresher session. PADI and NAUI offer these. I cannot speak for SSI or YMCA etc. Refresher sessions are normally limited to a pool session.

You can ask to add an open water session, and then you could log this dive into your logbook. That would accomplish your having logged a recent dive.

What you should do is, in addition to the above, take an Advanced Open Water course. These usually run 2 or more weekends, in a NAUI format, and include at least 7 dives. I do not have my NAUI standards in front of me, so I cannot tell you how many minimum dives NAUI requires for this next certification. There is also a booklet for you to read, and a multiple choice exam, with one or two evening classes. If a NAUI store in your area is starting an AOW course soon, you might have time to finish it. It is possible that a NAUI store may let you begin immediately, and finish when you get back. That would at least give you a few dives before you leave for your trip.

PADI offers the Advanced Open Water format in one weekend, normally 5 dives, three on Saturday and 2 on Sunday or vice versa. Even that would be better than a pool-only refresher session. If a PADI store in your area is offering an AOW course soon, that may be your best bet.

What you must do is probably nothing. The boat will probably want to see your C-card. It may want to see your logbook, but not always.

sign up fpr the O/W class again -you`ll have time to do the pool portion - this should be a good refrasher

your old NAUI card is valid even if you have not been diving in 10 years

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom