Scuba school?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dantfarley

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
200 - 499
I am a Padi rescue diver and diving since 2000, I am interested in gaining my instructor certifications and was curious as to if there is a school that offers this?
Room and board
Diving and instruction everyday
A college of sorts in the US?
If so what is the price and how do I attend?

I appreciate everyones help

There is a place in Ocala, FL called 40 Fathom Grotto, I know it's a commercial diving school with lodging and meals on site, but not sure what certs they offer.

40 Fathom Grotto

I can do it in Virginia. What does your schedule look like?

Good evening Dantfarley, I went though PADI IDC down in WPB June. It was through Pura Vida divers with the course director Barbara Declerque. I cant say enough about her, absolutely Fantastic and she left no stoned unturned. Home. I know they offer local lodging within walking distance as I met a guy from up North who was doing a DM internship with the shop. Great people...:)

Hope this helps,

Michael

I went to halls in marathon in 2001 and loved it. It's multi agency. I crossed over to padi at a later date but I was already a padi dm. And the crossover is easy especially from NAUI. Halls is expensive and I think even more so I went there. They had apartments across the street from the dive store which were dorm style but made for the experience and making lifelong friendships in the dive industry. There's no meal plans but there was a large grocery store on the island and lots of restaurants. Halls was really busy and we got a lot of experience with real students and divemastering their boat and guiding divers and snorkelers. The diving in the keys is pretty good and we got to do a little travel between key largo and key west on days off. I run into instructors old and young that went to halls and it's like being from the same fraternity.

There are schools around the world offering a variety of packages at different costs. If you plan to work in the industry long term don't be afraid to make the investment

Last edited:
There are many options available - simply type in PADI Divemaster / Instructor Training in the US into google. Make sure you choose your centre and instructional staff carefully. If you are interested in a career in the industry, it is important you get good and thorough training. Don't skimp on costs, as it won't save you in the long run. Speak to the Course Director (it has to be a Course Director who teaches the Instructor Development Course) and find out how much experience they have and whether you get on with them.

Good luck - it really is a great career :)

I'm not a pro, just a recreational diver, so I feel a little like I'm butting in with a possible red herring, but FWIW: When we were in Key Largo this past July, I found some literature (an ad in a local paper, maybe?) about a Community College in the keys with a specific course of study in becoming a recreational diving professional. It struck me as an unexpected but natural fit with the needs and wants for vocational training for that community. Seems PADI-affiliated, certs offered are DM & OWSI.

See James E. Lockwood Jr. - School of Diving
and specifically Recreational Diving - Academics - Florida Keys Community College

You might look at EASE at Vero Beach Florida. PADI IDC, IDC Florida, PADI IDC Florida, PADI Instructor course, CDC, Career Development Center, meals and accommodation included, Advanced Open Water, rescue Diver, Divemaster, OWSI, MSDT, Gas Blender Instructor, tec Deep Instructor, tec trimix Inst They seem to fit what you need. Just an FYI, at a minimum you will need your Divemaster, and EFR intructor certs before you may start your Instructor class. They can handle all of this.

Good evening Dantfarley, I went though PADI IDC down in WPB June. It was through Pura Vida divers with the course director Barbara Declerque. I cant say enough about her, absolutely Fantastic and she left no stoned unturned. Home. I know they offer local lodging within walking distance as I met a guy from up North who was doing a DM internship with the shop. Great people...:)

Hope this helps,

Michael

I agree with Michael. Barbara is very thorough, a great instructor and a fantastic person. You will go to the IE confident that you are ready. The staff at Pura Vida is great and you will come away satisfied that you got the service you paid for. The classroom is almost walking distance from the Blue Heron Bridge, where you will be doing your in water training. Highly recommended!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom