Goliath groupers and the full moon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ocdiver1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am trying to get out to see the groupers in late September, which is when I hear the season typically ends. Is it also true that they are mostly likely to aggregate/spawn around the full moon? Just curious as September 27th is a full moon and I could work it that I would be diving right around that date. Thanks!

From Space.com

"Over the next few nights, the moon will be well placed for observation as it moves towards full moon on Sunday night (Sept. 12, 2011).

This month's full moon is special, because it is the Harvest Moon in the Northern Hemisphere. Because of the location of the sun, Earth, and moon this month, the nearly full moon will appear low in the southeastern sky for several nights in a row, which traditionally has allowed farmers an extension of daylight during the critical time of year when they are harvesting their crops."

DC

Noted my mistake after I posted...full moon is the 12th, not the 27th. So I pose my question a different way...does one really need to be right around the full moon for good sightings or should you still be able to see them at other times?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom