Question regarding DEPP insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamickey

I'm a GIRL!
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been insured through DEPP for several years. They have paid out on 2 claims, no problem. I wanted to check to see if any issues had cropped up over the last year or so. It's been a little over 2 yrs since I filed a claim and I want to make sure that they are still reliable. I'm insuring almost $20,000 in gear every year and it's expensive. I guess I'm looking for recommendations that they are still reliable. I have no other option. DAN doesn't insure equipment for those who live in Alaska and homeowners insurance will be adversely affected if I have to file a claim.

I have used them for a number of years and before this year had only one claim that they handled well. However, when my two dive computers and assorted other gear were stolen about two months ago, I filed a claim. I discovered that my equipment list had not been updated to show the new computer that replaced the original computer on the list (which DEPP covered). Could easily be my bad, but I was paying the premium for $400 worth of computer and gauge. DEPP said they would forward this to the insurance company itself and I would hear from them. Recently I sent an e-mail to Sandy asking what the status of that was. I have yet to hear from her.

Since I was paying for $400 worth of insurance, I expect DEPP to come through with that amount (less the deductible). So far nothing.

Given this experience and the complaints I've seen posted elsewhere on SB, I wonder if DEPP is the right choice any more. I'm also wondering if those of us who have not received the service we've paid for should consider a class action lawsuit against them and the actual insurer?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom