Freediving and Equalization

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Noob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I assume equalization on descent is similar to scuba diving, going only as quickly as you can equalize. However, on ascent, can you still get a reverse block? What do you do then? You have to surface for air, so I guess you can still cause some major damage.

Yes, reverse blocks are still possible when freediving. This is why you take preventative measures and don't dive when you're congested or have trouble equalizing. If you get a reverse block on ascent it's probably not a good idea to stay down and try to clear it.

Good freedivers will weight themselves to be neutral or near neutral at their max diving depth. If you're wearing a thicker suit then you'll most likely be near neutral but slightly negative at your max depth.
The object is to perform a near perfect dive to fight the positive buoyancy of your suit. At a certain depth your suit will compress and you can glide down to your depth saving your energy.

This means on ascent you could either be slightly negative or slightly positive above your max depth. Fighting either of those to stay at a constant depth would waist your energy, up your heart rate, and consume your O2 levels which could lead to a blackout.

Depending on when the reverse block occurs, you could have massive to minimal damage.

I have had a reverse block before, for the usual reasons: decongestant use and forceful clearing. I think it would be difficult for a free diver who couldn't clear to force the issue to the extent that I did to continue a descent.

Be sure you are clear and can equalize both ways before getting in the water.
If you're having any problems, best not do any free diving that day. You have little to no time to clear a reverse block and increase the risk of a busted ear drum.
About a year ago I started having problems as the dive day progressed. I was getting up to 20 dives in and then my right ear would start to block up on me. Since then I've poked nice little ear holes in my hood and drink a LOT of water all day long. No more problems.
If you're really interested in free diving, take the Performance Free Diving course. Or Free Diving Instructors International. They go into equalizing techniques much more thoroughly than a scuba course does.

Equalizing for Scuba and for Freediving is very different.

Most scuba divers are taught to equalize by using Valsalva. As as scuba instructor myself,I taught all my students to equalize this way. Scuba instructors teach this method for a couple of reasons.
#1. I can teach someone who can't equalize, to equalize in about one minute using this method.
#2. This method works fine for scuba. You can scuba dive to 500ft using this method.

Valsalva works by using the respiratory muscles in your stomach and chest to force the air up into your Eustachian tubes. This is the the ole pinch your nose and blow method. This method works fine for scuba for several reasons.
#1. Most scuba diver descend head up feet down, so the air naturally rises "up" to the ears where you need it.
#2. While scuba diving when you take a breath off your regulator your lungs will expand to full size weather you are 10ft underwater or 500ft underwater.
#3. Equalizing on scuba at 10ft is really no different that equalizing at 500ft. In both situation your lungs are completely full.

Many people that try freediving have problems equalizing and this is because they are using Valsalva.

Valsalva doesn't work well for freediving for several reasons.
#1. As a freediver we go down head down, feet up, so the air rises "up" towards our feet, but we need the air in our ears.
#2. As a freediver we descend much faster than a scuba diver.
#3. As a freediver when we go down our lung volume is constantly shrinking so its becomes harder to equalize because we have less and less air available to equalize.
Because of these factors Valsalva tends to fail at rather shallow depths.

Freedivers need to learn how to use the Frenzel technique.

To test which method you are using equalize your ears like you do normally, and put your hand on your chest. If you feel your stomach clenching when you equalize that means your using your respiratory muscles to push the air up. This means your doing Valsalva.

Frenzel uses the air in your mouth to equalize, as opposed to the air in your lungs. Your using your tongue and throat as a piston to push the air into your Eustachian tubes.

I personally do a skype equalizing session with all my students before they take the course to make sure they are doing it correctly. During the courses I always do a hands on equalizing workshop where I make sure everyone has the technique down. It can be tricky to get someone to switch methods as you have to break the habit of how your doing it.

Back
Top Bottom