Diving - Earache remedies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kevl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have about 20 dives now and i'd say at least 75% of them have resulted in having a killer earache hours later. Usually it happens when i'm sleeping; it'll wake me up and i'll have throbbing pain in my right ear. I'll typically take motrin, put a couple drops of swimmers ear in and maybe an hour later it'll be fine. Anyone have recommendations for preventing/helping this?

I know for a fact I have issues with this ear draining properly but if there's some method that works for others, i'd love to know!

Thanks!

P.S. I never have any issues underwater equalizing.

Why are you waiting to put drops in? They are there to help dry out the water so it only makes sense that you use it right after your dive.

Make sure you are equalizing early, often, and gently. I find that my ears get more sore after doing an aggressive drop. Even though I think I am clearing, my ears aren't keeping up and almost feel bruised afterwards - and will definately wake me up from pain. This makes them a lot more susceptible to infection as well in my case

Last edited:
Why are you waiting to put drops in? They are there to help dry out the water so it only makes sense that you use it right after your dive.

Make sure you are equalizing early, often, and gently. I find that my ears get more sore after doing an aggressive drop. Even though I think I am clearing, my ears aren't keeping up and almost feel bruised afterwards - and will definately wake me up from pain. This makes them a lot more susceptible to infection as well in my case

Yes, drops right away. Maybe try Doc's Pro (ear) Plugs. Hood no help keeping water from going deep inside ears? Swimming sideways/upside down shoots water in there--also be aware of that when donning fins in water. I have heard that the earaches usually don't come from viruses, etc. in the water, but because water does something to stuff that is naturally inside the ears. But nasty infection can occur--my brother was hospitalized once.

...//....Make sure you are equalizing early, often, and gently. I find that my ears get more sore after doing an aggressive drop. Even though I think I am clearing, my ears aren't keeping up and almost feel bruised afterwards - and will definately wake me up from pain. ....//.....

From my experience, nothing more to say.

Thanks for the suggestions, I have tried using the drops shortly afterwards although generally after I get off the boat and get back to my room which may take a hour. I will carry them with me next time and use them immediately after the dive is finished!

Also, I've heard about the docs proplugs which i'm going to give a shot!

Heading to Cozumel next week! Can't wait!

Thanks all!

I had no ear problems until four years ago when, after two days of diving Cozumel, I came down with a horrible right outer ear infection (otitis externa, aka "swimmer's ear") that blew out the rest of my dive week. I found a bunch of posts on the subject here on SB recommending "ear beer." I started making a batch of ear beer before dive trips using 1/3 white vinegar, 1/3 isopropyl alchohol, and 1/3 distilled water. The alcohol is a drying agent, the vinegar reestablishes the correct pH in the ear, and the distilled water is a purified delivery agent. I use it immediately after every dive with the head tilted and leave it for 4-5 minutes and then do the other side. No problems since after about 100 dives. Do a google search on "ear beer" and you will find a ton of stuff. Also, there is a pretty good article on the DAN website about swimmer's ear. http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=48

I had no ear problems until four years ago when, after two days of diving Cozumel, I came down with a horrible right outer ear infection (otitis externa, aka "swimmer's ear") that blew out the rest of my dive week. I found a bunch of posts on the subject here on SB recommending "ear beer." I started making a batch of ear beer before dive trips using 1/3 white vinegar, 1/3 isopropyl alchohol, and 1/3 distilled water. The alcohol is a drying agent, the vinegar reestablishes the correct pH in the ear, and the distilled water is a purified delivery agent. I use it immediately after every dive with the head tilted and leave it for 4-5 minutes and then do the other side. No problems since after about 100 dives. Do a google search on "ear beer" and you will find a ton of stuff. Also, there is a pretty good article on the DAN website about swimmer's ear. DAN Divers Alert Network : Can You Prevent Otitis Externa, or Swimmers Ear?

Quick question for you.... were you driving much and were you the driver or the passenger?

I've never heard this addressed on the message board before, but when I moved to Hawaii I used to get left side ear infections all the time the first few months. The first night it got hot and stuffy at our house I turned on the overhead ceiling fan straight above my head, slept on my left side and got an ear infection in my right ear for the first time within a day or two.

That got me to thinking. I drove about a half hour a day shortly after diving quite frequently, with the window down. The ear that was getting infected was always the one that had direct wind into it. Pro plugs, even the pro ear masks that came out in 2000 or so, were primarily about keeping the water exchange down, and to keep the innards from cooling off to some extent, in your ears to prevent infections.
I rolled up the car window, turned on the AC, and haven't had a left side only ear infection in 11 years since. Could be pure coincidence, but going from frequent to zero at the time I rolled up the window has me wondering. I mentioned that to a buddy of mine that also was getting primarily left side ear problems, asked him if he drove with the window down and he said yes... don't know if he ever tried the AC thing or not to know if it helped. I do also now use a 60/40 vinegar to acohol mix when diving a lot, even after showers when I'm diving a lot, to help keep the problems down.

Do you have sinus problems? Did you have frequent ear infections as a kid? You could have narrow or scarred
euschastian tubes. I have had both and had ear difficulties when I first started diving.

First, make sure you are equalizing early and often. Just like others have said, this is vital to diving. If you ear won't clear, don't descend or you will get squeeze...or worse. I use a saline rinse the night before or morning of diving. You can get a kit at the drug store. It's just a squeeze bottle that you fill with warm water and a saline
packet. Some use Afrin nose spray as well but (DISCLAIMER) you should check with your doctor about using any over the counter medications before diving.

Like other's have said, don't wait to use the swimmer's ear drops. I didn't have any luck trying Doc's Pro Plugs.

I had no ear problems until four years ago when, after two days of diving Cozumel, I came down with a horrible right outer ear infection (otitis externa, aka "swimmer's ear") that blew out the rest of my dive week. I found a bunch of posts on the subject here on SB recommending "ear beer." I started making a batch of ear beer before dive trips using 1/3 white vinegar, 1/3 isopropyl alchohol, and 1/3 distilled water. The alcohol is a drying agent, the vinegar reestablishes the correct pH in the ear, and the distilled water is a purified delivery agent. I use it immediately after every dive with the head tilted and leave it for 4-5 minutes and then do the other side. No problems since after about 100 dives. Do a google search on "ear beer" and you will find a ton of stuff. Also, there is a pretty good article on the DAN website about swimmer's ear. DAN Divers Alert Network : Can You Prevent Otitis Externa, or Swimmers Ear?
That's the best. Manufacturers don't sell it as the vinegar breaks down after a month, but it is virtually free to make. 3 minutes on each side at the end of the day is recommended. I use it as a quick rinse after each dive and shower of a diver trip, but that can remove too much ear wax - except I have too much anyway normally so it seems to work out. Several minutes on each side after every dive sounds excessive but it you don't think you are overdoing it, cool.

Back
Top Bottom