Tuesday's dive in the washing machine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I met Grandpa Curt today at Mukilteo for our Tuesday dive.

The wind was coming from the north and there was some wave action but nothing we haven't done before... except there were quite a few logs from the recent flooding.

High tide was still an hour and a half away but the waves were bringing the water right up to the steps.

Usually this is a very easy entry site and that is why we like it for our quick Tuesday afternoon dives. However this time Grandpa Curt had to crawl on his hands and knees into the waves to start the dive.

We dropped down and once below 20' the surge was gone and the viz opened up. The plan was to putz around at 60' but to stay well away from the old T-dock (which is actually an I-dock these days) as I figured with the wave action it was entirely possible that the end of the I would collapse and join the rest of the T on the bottom.

I didn't want to be under it when it came down.

We ended back in the 30' area after about a half hour and I noticed that the viz was gone and there was a strong surge.

Uh oh. After cogitating on it for a couple of minutes I gave GC the finger/thumb... finger pointing the direction that we should go to egress.

I figured that the wind had built and we must have some serious wave action over us. Not only that but there was probably a lot of log action too and with high tide we only had a narrow window to get out of the water.

If we were too far East we would be pushed against the rocks and probably a lot of logs as well. If we were too far to the West we might get rolled under the walkway around the hotel. The exit opportunity was only about 50' wide.

By the time we got into 15' of water there was 0 viz and it was a washing machine. GC and I were able to surface right in front of the steps. Fortunately a couple of other divers who were getting ready when we went in decided to call their dive when they saw the waves building. They also decided to stick around to help us get back out of the water... Thanks Guys!!!

If we had stayed down for our usual hour dive I really don't think we would have made it out without getting hurt.

This was a freak storm that came in fast and ended up knocking out power to 60-70K homes... including mine (I'm on generator power right now.)

I called my wife after the dive and told her about the building waves and also told her that I thought the resturant (Ivar's) next to the hotel should get the folks out from in front of the windows because I was sure they would end up taking a wave through them.

On my way home I heard on the radio that is indeed what ended up happening.

here is the local newspaper's report about it.

Glad you made it out! I am stuck here in the desert and just don't understand how the floor can move 4feet. Is it on a pier or something? I have so much to learn about the ocean!

Joe

How far is that from were we were? The place isn't gonna blow away before I move up there, I hope.

K

... though Deception Pass had some action today as well... 60 mph winds and I'm sure a bunch of logs.

Mukilteo is close in to us. A very benign... and some would say boring site.

The resturant is built partially on pilings Joe. The waves were slamming up under the building with incredible force. And most of the waves had battering rams on them... logs.

One of the guys who waited for us and was watching for logs said that when I came in there were logs on both sides of me but none came near me.

I'm blessed.

I once saw a "real-video" or whatever it was where some guy who runs the logs at a logging camp fell in between the logs on the surface in a brief window and sheet of logs closed over him. The men on top worked for quite a while to save him. But the whole surface of the lake was covered in logs. The victim's mouth kept showing on the camera trying to get air wherever possible in between the logs but the water and wind kept working against them (like that child's sliding puzzle with the one hole between the pieces and you can only slide one piece at a time). With the whole surface covered by thousands of logs pressed fast together ... the changing gaps between them was completely random. Eventually, the man drowned. You figured since they showed it on TV that it would have a happy ending ... but it did not.

I actually had a bad dream about that scenario some time later on and when I woke I thought even though in many tight circumstances I have never demostrated claustrophobia ... that scenario would rank at or near the top among my least favorite ways to die catalog.

I wish someone had taken some video of us yesterday! Actually there were folks in the hotel watching... maybe somebody did.

Seeing the TV news last night and this morning showing the damage to the resturant was really interesting. And I found out that my son was on the ferry that had just come into the dock about the time that we were surfing.. I mean surfacing.

I'm glad we didn't make the news.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
The resturant is built partially on pilings Joe. The waves were slamming up under the building with incredible force. And most of the waves had battering rams on them... logs.
Pug...the spin you put on stories is just hilarious...I have thuroughly enjoyed every one of you anchored boat stories...I know this is a pretty serious event, and I am glad that everything turned out well, but your stories are classics...

Maybe you should consider a novel of short diving stories lumped together.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

I'm workin' on it.

"The Unembellished Adventures of Uncle Pug"
The one with you and DD has to be my favorite....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom