RS Teleconverter Focus Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaticman

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm wondering if anyone can help with this problem?
I have a teleconverter for the RS that doesn't focus.
All of my lenses on both bodies focus. It doesn't adjust focus on either body and with any lens.
I have cleaned the contacts on both bodies and the teleconverter and still no luck.
I tried to see if the manual focus would work without a lens just to see if it would turn the little gear but it wouldn't wok that way either.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Does anyone know any service folks that can diagnose and repair it?

I tried Reef Photo & Video but they were unable to help yet I appreciate their very quick and honest response. Backscatter didn't even respond to my email help request.
Help!

I could swear I posted this earlier.

Backscatter has always been prompt in their replies to me.

I assume this is the Rene Aumann doubler.

The autofocus is a mechanical feed through that's at the 7 o'clock position as you look at the front of the camera. It's just a shaft with a female slot in the end on the camera side and a male tang on the lens side. It may be frozen. See if you can turn it with a tiny screwdriver on the camera side. Don't force things. Also, can you push the tank on the lens side back a bit.

The other possibility is that, I think, there's an electrical signal from the lens to the camera that says "I can do mechanical autofocus". I know all the RS lenses were AF, but the RS mount is really a Nikon F mount with some extra stuff. The TC may not be relaying that signal. Can you hear the camera TRYING to AF with the TC on?

You could also try Googling "Rene Aumann"

Thanks Chuck, I tried cleaning the electrical contacts on all points of contact first. Then I identified the mechanical contact and tried to turn it but I didn't try very hard. I'll try again. I opened it up a bit and looked inside and there was no sign of corrosion or any leaks. I noticed that the internal gear had to lined up and it was engaged properly. I'll try looking at the mechanism again. There is no sound when I try to manualy focus so I suspect that you may be on the rigjt track when saying the motor should be trying to engage, It may be electrical.
Thanks again.

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom