Dive boat suggestions for South Maui now that Mike Severns is closed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve99

New
Reaction score
Hi,

I’ve been diving with Mike Severns for many years, very sad to see them close, but happy that they are enjoying retirement.

Like many long time customers, I really loved their focus and obsession with the diverse underwater wildlife. I’m so grateful to have seen so many amazing things like a coral spawn, and over the years I’ve gotten to see so many rare little critters. I loved hearing Pauline explain their behaviours with so much excitement and enthusiasm.

I know Mike Severns is one of a kind I won’t find another dive shop with a comparable level of expertise. But does anyone have any suggestions for a dive shop with a similar level of enthusiasm and focus on unique wildlife and behaviours, especially little critters?

I tried Island Style Divers last year, the folks that took over Mike Severn’s boat. They are a very well run operation and I enjoyed my dives, but they didnt have the focus on wildlife that I’m looking for.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Amen to your feelings on Mike Severns! Pauline, Warren, Andy, Poki, AJ ... a one of a kind operation that set the bar for so many years. The passion that they had was awesome. Knowledge like that takes years if not decades and that make's it inherently hard to find. We'd been diving with them for over 20 years as well prior to close. We are in the same boat (ha ha) - and looking for the same thing as we continue to island hop. I've heard good things about Island Style as well and we'll be diving with them later this year. Extended Horizons (Eric and Victoria) are fantastic, but as you probably know they lost their company / boat in the tragic fires in Lahaina. I hope that they are able to resume a boat operation down the road. I hope you have some luck with getting some suggestions here. If life ever leads you Kauai please let me know. I'd be happy to help you with dive plans. Best wishes, A

Hi,

I’ve been diving with Mike Severns for many years, very sad to see them close, but happy that they are enjoying retirement.

Like many long time customers, I really loved their focus and obsession with the diverse underwater wildlife. I’m so grateful to have seen so many amazing things like a coral spawn, and over the years I’ve gotten to see so many rare little critters. I loved hearing Pauline explain their behaviours with so much excitement and enthusiasm.

I know Mike Severns is one of a kind I won’t find another dive shop with a comparable level of expertise. But does anyone have any suggestions for a dive shop with a similar level of enthusiasm and focus on unique wildlife and behaviours, especially little critters?

I tried Island Style Divers last year, the folks that took over Mike Severn’s boat. They are a very well run operation and I enjoyed my dives, but they didnt have the focus on wildlife that I’m looking for.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Maui Diamond won’t leave you disappointed. I had the same experience in October with Island Style even though they still did a great job. On the Maui Diamond boat I was following Dave around and when we communicated that I was into macro subjects it got nerdy real quick lol. I think some of that crew used to work for Ed Robinson’s boat also.

Maui Diamond won’t leave you disappointed. I had the same experience in October with Island Style even though they still did a great job. On the Maui Diamond boat I was following Dave around and when we communicated that I was into macro subjects it got nerdy real quick lol. I think some of that crew used to work for Ed Robinson’s boat also.
HUGE thank you!!! I was searching South Maui, so Maui Diamond never came on my radar. Didn’t even think to try Maalaea, since I’ve been going from the Kihei Boat Ramp for so many years. I will try Maui Diamond and report back. Thank you again!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom