Depth Compensating Weight Belt Buckle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smorneau

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone used a Depth Compensating weight belt buckle? Do they work? Does the spring wear out or stretch out causing the belt too loosen? Is it worth the $20 for one. My belt alway gets loose on me.
Thanks

Has anyone used a Depth Compensating weight belt buckle? Do they work? Does the spring wear out or stretch out causing the belt too loosen? Is it worth the $20 for one. My belt alway gets loose on me.
Thanks

I've used one and they do not work well. The spring is relatively weak and will do nothing for someone with a heavy weightbelt used in cold water.

A MUCH better solution is an elastic, rubber freedive belt.

I'll second DD's recommendation. He was actually so convinced of what he says that he sent me a rubber belt, at his own expense, and told me to use it and pay him for it if I liked it.

I do. I like it a lot. I was worried that the tongue would engage the holes if you tried to dump the belt, but it isn't an issue. 20 lbs is about the most I'd put on the one I have, though.

I think the best solution is putting the belt tighter, either already before the dive or during the dive. It is generally not a wise thing to compensate with equipment for skill-related problems.

Usually I don't use a belt, because I have integrated weight, but if I do, I always have to adjust the belt once I'm under.

Good luck with it.

I have and still use the Tekna made Depth Compensating weight belt buckle. Bought it back in the 80's, haven't used anything else since then. The spring has not worn out and still works like the day I bought it. I also have a Tenka watch buckle designed the same way just smaller. No worn spring on that one neither. Like ScubaBB stated an adjustment is advised at some point during the dive. I don't believe any buckle or belt will compensate from the surface to 100+' at some point you need to "hitch it a bit". Since I started using a SSBP/wing w/ weight pockets on the belt I've dropped a lot of weight off my belt. The buckle works much better with the lighter load...from 30lbs down to 10lbs. My guess is the ones made today are so cheap that they probably don't work well or last very long.

I'm very happy with my old-fashioned rubber weight belt with the wire buckle. I carry 16lbs on the belt. Mine is a Trident, and I don't think I've seen a dive shop that doesn't carry Trident gear.

.. Like ScubaBB stated an adjustment is advised at some point during the dive. I don't believe any buckle or belt will compensate from the surface to 100+' at some point you need to "hitch it a bit". .

Well if you have NEVER used this piece of equipment, then you might be surprised that you DO NOT have to screw with the belt buckle on a rubber, elastic weight belt during the dive. It has sufficient elasticity for every suit I have worn (including a 7 mm FJ, 7 mm jacket and 3 mm vest set up) WITHOUT touching the buckle during the dive.

As for BB's comments, s/he seems to be implying that a diver who chooses to use a rubber belt does not have sufficient "skill" to adjust a non depth compensating belt during a dive.

That is a nonsensical assumption, but I do like the skepticism that people are expressing about them. If you can use a piece of gear that is "set-it and-forget it" before a dive, why wouldn't you want to use it? Cinching up a nylon belt super tight before the descent is uncomfortable and may impede breathing and definitely makes it more likely that the belt buckle will fail and the belt could be lost.

A rubber belt can be worn very low on the hips and it tends to have more friction than a nylon belt, so it will be much less likely to rotate, slide around, shift or require any adjustment.

In addition, because the belt is elastic and stays where you put it, you can wear it very low on your butt in a location where a nylon belt would just slide off. For people with low back issues, being able to take the weight off the small of the back can make a big improvement in comfort.

The skeptic must be wondering, if these belts are so much better, then why are they not often used by scuba divers? Surely if there is something as simple and inexpensive as a weight belt that could be drastically improved, it would already be in common use?

Well, I can't answer that question... But if you are curious, you should try one.

Also, skeptics should understand that it would be VERY unusual for a serious freediver to use anything OTHER than a rubber belt, particularly if they are wearing a (compressible) wet suit.

I have a couple of the Tekna buckles about, they are the only ones that actually work ... but a rubber belt or a "SeaQuest" buckle both work far better.

I reallly was a big skeptic about the rubber belts. I had never seen anyone use one, and I had never seen one for sale anywhere I went in a scuba shop. Although they weren't particularly expensive, I was dubious enough not to be motivated to buy and try one, which is why DD did it for me.

I'm with him. I don't know why these aren't in more widespread use for scuba. They work really well, release easily, and cost no more than a pocketed weight belt like the ones XS Scuba sells (which can let soft weights slither out, as I can testify from personal experience). This is a very nice, simple, inexpensive piece of kit; if you are using a weight belt, this is a really nice way to do it.

Back
Top Bottom