MSDT Training South Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tripledive

Registered
Reaction score
This question is really aimed at mostly those involved on the diving professional level but anyone feel free to jump in. I would like to pursue my MSDT training (obtained the OWSI five years ago in NY) in South Florida. I am considering three places...Ocean Divers, Key Largo, Silent World, Key Largo, and Sea Experience in Ft.Lauderdale. I have to visit two out of three still. Does anyone have a recommendation and why? Are there any others in the South Florida area you would recommend? I'm not looking for zero to hero, know all about that stuff. It is all about quality and thorough training. I'm fine with paying a premium price for premium training. Just don't want to pay premium prices for mediocre training. Looking for training in equipment repair and also the technical diving side as well. My ultimate professional goal is to work on liveaboards and have done the research to know for the most part what they are looking for in an employee. Thanks in advance for your input.

If your still considering options, you might look into the Eastern Academy of Scuba Education (EASE) located in Vero Beach. I did my TDI Deco procedures, TecRec 50, PADI IDC, and MSDT programs with Philippe and Dianne- They are absolutely the best. The EASE house is a live-in facility with great staff instructors and all meals included. Check them out

PADI IDC, IDC Florida, PADI IDC Florida, PADI Instructor course, CDC, Career Development Center, meals and accommodation included, Advanced Open Water, rescue Diver, Divemaster, OWSI, MSDT, Gas Blender Instructor, tec Deep Instructor, tec trimix Inst

I wonder what you are expecting to get out of MSDT training when you have been an OWSI for 5 years. MSDT is basically a course where you take 5 specialties as student and/or instructor level. It doesn´t really teach you much, to be quite honest. In many places MSDT implies a internship sorts of aiming towards getting your 25 certs. But you can self certify in almost all specialties after having the 25 certs. Not to minimize MSDT training really, but I would personally steer you towards more "useful" training that can actually make you a better diver and instructor. Tech courses, something like Deco Procedures, or technical agency Wreck course, Intro to Cave, any of those courses will give you a much more "useful" set of tools you can then transfer onto PADI Specialties (like PPB, Wreck, Deep, etc) once you have the 25 certs. I would assume since you have been teaching for 5 years, you might be close to the 25 certs, or have them already.

I'm with ElGaucho. If you're already issued 25 certifications you can just send PADI the specialty instructor fee for 5 specialties you want to teach along with the MSDT application and fee. That's all it takes. You are more than likely not to get much out of an MSDT course.

Thank you!!! I will look into their facility as well. How long ago did you complete your training there?

Thank you El Gaucho and Dive-aholic. I got certified to teach, taught a few classes and got some certs under my belt, then moved out of state for work (been diving avidly since, but no teaching). I figured hooking up with an instuctor training facilty would help get me back into the teaching thing as well as complete the MSDT at the same time. BUT, I see your points and they make a lot of sense. I will pursue technical training..sounds like the time and effort will be better spent there. Thanks!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom