Budget diving in south Florida (Miami, Keys, etc.)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crclark96

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm flying through MIA at the beginning of July and the only cheap flights I can find include overnight layovers, so I figured I may as well make the most of it and spend a few days diving since booking two flights is only about $200 more than taking the overnight layover.

Does anyone have recommendations for cheap dive spots, accommodations, places to eat, and ways to get to/from the airport? I have all my own gear so I'm basically just looking for a hostel walking distance from some shore diving or cheap charters and people to dive with. Where I'm currently based in central america, it's popular to have shops include accommodation with their dive packages, so I was wondering if there were any similar deals I should be looking for in south Florida.

Appreciate any recommendations!

I don't know the keys all that well. With that said accommodation there are outrageous. You might be able to find a airbrb not so bad and temo for a car.

Good luck

The diving is all expensive in the keys (personally not that great IMO aside from a couple of wrecks). The cheapest diving is pretty much Pompano/Deerfield area. You will pay 75-85 for a two tank dive (plus rental of tanks, equipment, etc). You'd have to rent a car or Uber to that area. You can also dive in Miami, which is of course close to the airport, but hotels are pricy and the diving is not great. You will pay $120-140 for 2 tanks in Miami (plus thanks and rental gear). Miami has some nice wrecks if that's your thing. Please let me know if you have questions.

Jupiter is where it's at for the big stuff. Really nice diving. Also on the pricy side, but not crazy (110 for two tanks without rental). Check out west palm too.

Haven't dived in Palm Bay, nor have I heard much about it, but anything north of Jupiter is not really much coral and more rocky.

Sorry meant west palm, I always get them confused 🤣

Yes, WPB is great, nice Hammerhead on Sunday that buzzed me. If you go with Narcosis dive company tell captain Alex I sent you :)

Yes, WPB is great, nice Hammerhead on Sunday that buzzed me. If you go with Narcosis dive company tell captain Alex I sent you :)

I've dove with them before, great people

There is not much diving in Miami. And AFAIK, no shops offer accomadations. Rent a car, and go north. If you want cheap diving, then that would be beach diving. Much more dependent on weather than boat diving. Then there is the issue of finding buddy for beach diving.
As for boat diving, there are a lot of options. American Dream or Sea Experience in Ft. Lauderdale, Diveboat Diversity in Boca/N. Broward, and all the ones previously mentioned in Jupiter area. I really like Kylami which also operates out of Jupiter.
If going south toward the Keys, the only place I know that offer accommadations is Amoray. Key Largo Diving Packages | Deals | Amoray Resort
Hope this helps.

Jupiter ... Really nice diving. Also on the pricy side, but not crazy (110 for two tanks without rental).
As a foreigner :cool: what would that mean?

What's the length of the dives? Typical depths? Overal time for two dives?

Assume one rocked up with the kit but needed cylinders/tanks, what would the price be ($110) ?

What "additional" charges would one expect to pay for -- Americans are famous for liking "tips" and "taxes", so what's the total?

Would one need to rent lead?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom