Question Florida folks: What's your cold threshold?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heftysmurf

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just curious what everyone's cold threshold is as we start getting warmer in South Florida. I ask because I got certified in November and have right at 50 dives since then and I've only used a 3mm shorty. Last weekend in Dania Beach, water temp was 74 and the coldest I've logged since November is 71. I'm almost at the point to go in board shorts and a rash guard when temp is 77 or so.

Wondering what other's feel is suit free? I know north Floridan cave folks will always be in a wet suit...Or...are you?

Ha, tolerance to cold is individual. I have been diving year around in Boynton Beach, Jupiter, and Palm Beach since 2009 and have had a townhouse since 2011. I have a 3, 5, and 7 mm full suit and wear each of them, with or without of 5/3 mm hooded vest, every year. I wear the 3 mm down to mid/high 70s. the 5 mm down to mid/low 70s, and the 7mm below that. I'm often one of the few warm folks on the boat. In addition, a good boat coat is indispensable any time the surface temperatures are on the low side and/or when there is a stiff wind.

I used to tolerate cold better than I do now. The older I am, the less tolerant I have become. I'm 70 now, plan on diving as long as I'm able.

Best of luck

Ha, tolerance to cold is individual. I have been diving year around in Boynton Beach, Jupiter, and Palm Beach since 2009 and have had a townhouse since 2011. I have a 3, 5, and 7 mm full suit and wear each of them, with or without of 5/3 mm hooded vest, every year. I wear the 3 mm down to mid/high 70s. the 5 mm down to mid/low 70s, and the 7mm below that. I'm often one of the few warm folks on the boat. In addition, a good boat coat is indispensable any time the surface temperatures are on the low side and/or when there is a stiff wind.

I used to tolerate cold better than I do now. The older I am, the less tolerant I have become. I'm 70 now, plan on diving as long as I'm able.

Best of luck
Thanks! Sounds reasonable. I'm 45 now so I am sure by the time I put a few more miles on the odometer, I'll lose my cold tolerance. I'm Florida born and raised but LOATHE the heat! Weird, I know but here for family. My wife is originally from Delaware and is basically a lizard! She'll wear a fur coat in 68 degree weather.

Yes -- I know cold is extremely individual but I recall last year I think Gulf Side was like 98 water temp...BLAH! I might dive in a Speedo then.

This may not apply to you, but often newer divers are "fast" and stay fairly warm due to lots of movement. As buoyancy and propulsion efficiency improves, movement decreases and temperature tolerance becomes less.

What's a wetsuit? :D When you're built like a manatee, you get to dive like one. I dive year round in a t-shirt and shorts. Temps vary wildly here from 68F to 70F, unless I hit warm pisswater. We call that a urinecline.

This may not apply to you, but often newer divers are "fast" and stay fairly warm due to lots of movement. As buoyancy and propulsion efficiency improves, movement decreases and temperature tolerance becomes less.
I'm just built a little thicker so I think that's one big factor -- I definitely try to be as slow as I can. I've just always been rather tolerant of cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom