Redundant Bouyancy - Dual Bladder v. Lift Bag v. Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txtroop07

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm trying to configure my gear towards tec diving and was wondering what is recommended as far as redundant buoyancy. Which is the most recommended by instructors/divers and why/why not as far as using dry suit, lift bag or dual bladder wing?

Thanks

Lift bag aren't accepted as redundant buoyancy by some agencies (i.e. TecRec). Check with your instructor/agency to determine that.

Drysuit is generally accepted as redundant buoyancy, although this has to be accurately calculated, in line with your overall weighting and buoyancy requirements.

Double Bladder wings aren't accepted as appropriate by some agencies (i.e. GUE and UTD). They favour drysuits and/or 'balanced rig'. Balanced rig is where the entire system is calculated to enable the diver to swim the kit up - normally the approach used when diving wetsuit. Choice of cylinders is critical to this.

There are many approaches to 'tec diving'. Confusing as it may be, you need to isolate which approach you wish to follow and tackle your gear configuration from that perspective.

Given your stated experience, I'd suggest that you would benefit (and ensure an acceptable measure of safety) by undertaking some specific training on the use and configuration of technical-type scuba equipment. Most technical diving instructors offer some form of intro-to-tec course... 'taster' courses or equipment familiarization courses.

Using 'tec diving' equipment, without appropriate training or procedures, can actually create more dangers than it resolves.

As Andy said, different agencies and different instructors will endorse one - or maybe more - of those three solutions, but possibly not the other(s)

The three methods all have their pros & cons. IMHO a dry suit is for thermal protection, a lift bag is for lifting and a bladder is for buoyancy - but telling your future instructor that some guy on the internet thinks that isn't go to do you much good

In the interests of simplicity & economy, my suggestion would be for you to start with a single-bladder wing and a lift bag/DSMB; you can always get a dry suit later, the lift bag/DSMB can still be useful, and I'm not aware of any agency that insists on having a redundant bladder wing (although some like PSAI & IIRC TDI do recommend/suggest them, they will also accept a lift bag/DSMB as an alternative for training purposes) whereas there are a couple that will not let you use them on course

Main thing is whichever method you use to practise and become skilled at it

. . but telling your future instructor that some guy on the internet thinks that isn't go to do you much good
Great point!! Well put.
In the interests of simplicity & economy, my suggestion would be for you to start with a single-bladder wing and a lift bag/DSMB; you can always get a dry suit later, the lift bag/DSMB can still be useful, and I'm not aware of any agency that insists on having a redundant bladder wing
Ditto.

...I'm not aware of any agency that insists on having a redundant bladder wing ..., they will also accept a lift bag/DSMB as an alternative for training purposes)

TecRec Instructor Manual:
• Backup buoyancy control – the student must have a reliable means for controlling buoyancy and maintaining decompression stops in midwater with a failed primary BCD. This is usually accomplished with a backup BCD (double wings) or, when using light weight cylinders, the use of a dry suit is permitted.

Note: A lift bag/DSMB is not considered a reliable method of backup buoyancy control.

That's interesting, but your editing is a bit misleading in terms of what I actually said: PADI don't insist on redundant wings, and PSAI & TDI do allow the use of a lift bag

Sorry. I wasn't trying to 'dispprove' your point. Just adding it for clarification and quoted you to ensure people could track the conversation.

PADI don't insist on double bladder wing, but without a drysuit...and not being allowed to use a lift-bag/DSMB, it doesn't leave many other options.

There is a quote in the Tec40 section (below) that seems to approve use of a single bladder wing if you can swim it up (balanced rig idea), but that isn't reiterated in the Tec45 or Tec50 sections. Not sure if it is meant to follow-through at all levels, or if it's only applicable to Tec40.

It's actually something I want to clarify with them, because I don't use (or need) redundant buoyancy when I am diving here in a 3mm, with ali backplate, ali cylinder and ali stages and ascent always on shot line or DSMB line (DSMB has more buoyancy than my 40lb Evolve anyway).

TecRec Instructor Manual - Tec40 - Equipment Requirements

Note that in cases where the student is carrying a relatively small quantity of overall weight (e.g., a single cylinder only) one source of buoyancy control may be acceptable at the instructor’s discretion, provided that there is a reliable alternative method for maintaining decompression stops, such as ascending along a mooring line or decompressing on the bottom if topography allows.

Sounds like they're limiting it to Tec40 depths with a single tank and wouldn't accept balanced rig for doubles/deeper - even though for tropical divers like us it's not an issue to swim it up. Seems a bit silly either way (from a standards POV) since you can't guarantee you'll be able to get to the mooring line, for example

DSMB has more buoyancy than my 40lb Evolve anyway

What DSMB are you using & why? My Buddys are ~30# IIRC, and my Halcyon 3.3s even less

I can kinda understand why they might not accept a DSMB, since it's pretty hard to lose a redundant bladder or drysuit, and it ties up at least one hand - but again it seems inconsistent. Yay PADI

Sounds like they're limiting it to Tec40 depths with a single tank and wouldn't accept balanced rig for doubles/deeper - even though for tropical divers like us it's not an issue to swim it up. Seems a bit silly either way (from a standards POV) since you can't guarantee you'll be able to get to the mooring line, for example

Yeah.. that's why I need to clarify it with them. It does say "e.g." - so it's not absolute on bring 'only' for single cylinder dives...and if it applies for Tec40 in doubles, then it should apply to all courses. I'll raise this on the I2I forum and see what other TecRec instructors feel.

What DSMB are you using & why? My Buddys are ~30# IIRC, and my Halcyon 3.3s even less

I use an AP Valves Buddy. 1.4m long, 20cm wide - self-sealing. I approximated this at 20kg/44lbs (20 litres) lift when full.

Why? Because it's what I have. LOL Actually, had several of them for over 10 years now; relics from being a UK diver. Capacity over-kill, given I do most of my diving in Subic Bay - but not worth the expense of replacing until they die (does AP Valves stuff ever die?!?).

I used to use a smaller 3.3ft oral inflate for recreational diving - but that did die.

I can kinda understand why they might not accept a DSMB, since it's pretty hard to lose a redundant bladder or drysuit, and it ties up at least one hand - but again it seems inconsistent. Yay PADI

Personally, I don't see the issue with shooting a DSMB/Lift-Bag and hauling yourself up the line... providing you've calculated the bag to support your weight. 'Riding' a lift-bag up to the surface, with stops, is a different matter - I'd put that at the 'high-end' of the tech skill-set ladder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom