regs and hoses configurations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanshin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
About regs and hoses configurations. I've only ever dived with:
- Reg and octo relatively short. Reg direct to mouth. Octo to one of the BCs straps.

The problems I have with that configuration are (by personal experience, I'm not judging whether the configuration is perfect for other people):
- I hate the reg hose constantly pulling the reg to one side.
- I don't like the time and effort it takes to remove the octo.

Diving in the Cenotes our DM had a really long reg hose that went around him and an octo that I think hung from his neck. I've read in some other threads that the idea, in case of air sharing, is to pass the main reg and use the octo.

I really like the idea but I have some questions:
- How hard is to put the reg hose in a way that allows unravelling it effortlessly underwater?
- What do I have to buy for that configuration (I gather the reg is just wund around the body or something but the octo has a neck thingy?)
- Will that configuration solve my "hose pulling reg from mouth" problem?

- How hard is to put the reg hose in a way that allows unravelling it effortlessly underwater?

There's two main options for using a long(er) hose. You can bungee it to your cylinder, or you can 'hog' it.

I'd imagine that the 'Hog' solution was far more popular. It routes down under your right arm, then across the waist/chest and around the neck from the left side. You donate by passing the reg and 'dipping' your head.

dir2.jpg hog4.jpg studio_pro14-diver.jpg

- What do I have to buy for that configuration (I gather the reg is just wund around the body or something but the octo has a neck thingy?)

1x Long 5' or 7' primary hose
1x Short 22" or 24" secondary hose
1m metre of bungee
2x tie-wraps

- Will that configuration solve my "hose pulling reg from mouth" problem?

If properly routed, yes.

There are a few Primary reg configurations and Octo configurations out there, all with different methods and schools of thought behind them. Not all primary reg configs are compatible with octo configs; and not all reg configs are compatible with all types of BCs.

With the 7ft hose you'll need to tuck the excess in your waist belt or slug it under an object on your right side (such as a can light, pocket, shears pouch etc).
If your BC has no cumberbun or body conforming waist strap of any kind then you'll be left with a lot of dangling hose.

I'll list several popular reg configurations for you, and some tips that I've used or seen that make them work.
*I'll list the length of hose followed by whether it's the primary or octo*

Standard - 26/36in primary, 40in octo.
You probably are set up with a 36in hose or something a bit longer than a 26in. This causes the excess hose to bow out and create the drag that's pulling your primary out of your mouth. Getting a 26in hose may solve this.

The octo should be secured to your BC with a snorkel keeper or a bungee loop. These two methods allow for a cheap way to secure your octo and it's incredibly easy to deploy, yet secure enough to not fall out during your dive. Just be sure to wrap your bungee/keeper around the ziptie notch on your octo's mouthpiece. To deploy just grab your octo at the hose coupling and pull up away from you then down in a quick sharp motion.
To tie the keeper/bungee on your BC loop it around your D-ring and pass it through itself.
Pros -
- It's a relatively popular configuration, so many divers/buddies will be familiar with it.
- During OOA shares you have the ability to keep a working reg in your mouth at all times
Cons -
- Even a 26in primary will cause a bit of drag
- 40in octo hose can be difficult to manage, can hook onto other pieces of gear/environment, can become clogged with sand etc

Long hose - 5/7/9ft prim, 22-24in bungee backup
This configuration is the go-to method for technical divers. Having a long hose allows a buddy pair to share air and still dive in single file, which may be necessary in a wreck or cave. It also allows two divers to share air and maintain a comfortable safety stop without being glued together.
With this method the octo is now usually called a bungee backup. Often you'll see a primary second stage as your backup rather than an octo second stage. Both can be used for recreational purposes.

To secure your regs, backups are contained with bungee. You can either tie two blood knots and loop it over the reg mouth piece, or you can tie two standard knots on either end of a bungee line and zip tie it onto your regulator (replacing the mouthpiece ziptie or just adding another one behind it.) The latter method is a surefire way to make sure your backup will never come undone, even if someone is pulling on it. The former method makes it possible to pull your backup out of it's bungee loop and ditch it if necessary; it is less secure. You may want this if you're less inclined to pull the whole assembly (necklace and backup) over your head. The former method also makes ditching your entire BC underwater easier.

Your primary hose is slug under your right side, across your chest, over your left shoulder, and behind your neck. A 7-9ft hose needs to be contained further in your waistband/cumberbun or via an object on your left side (canlight, pocket etc).

Pros -
- OOA Donor gives up a known working reg to the OOA diver
- Backup is always slug under your chin, it will never move or drag if you've ziptied the bungee to it
- Great deal of maneuverability by both divers in an OOA situation (this can be a problem if no one is in control)
Cons -
- Long hose can be a hassle to manage both on land and underwater (if not properly trained)
- Not all BC's are compatible with a long hose configuration.
- 5ft hose may interfere with your left shoulder D-ring

Tying blood knots for a regulator necklace - picture and video links below
Double Fisherman's Knot | How to tie a Double Fisherman's Bend (Grapevine Knot) | Climbing Knots

[video=youtube;SIFyUJo98E4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIFyUJo98E4[/video]

How to donate a long hose
[video=youtube;8sqHa1kLLks]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sqHa1kLLks[/video]

There are two more configurations I'll list for you in follow-up post.

Last edited:
Angle Adapters/Swivels - 40in prim w/ angle adapter or swivel, 22-24in bungee backup
With this configuration you exchange the long hose for a 40in hose on an angle adapter or swivel. Very similar to the long hose configuration with the exception that you get rid of the major benefits that a long hose provides, and that is spacing during OOA shares. You're still able to perform a face-to-face horizontal safety stop with an OOA diver just as if you're using a long hose, however you won't be able to get very much distance from them.

40in hoses are easier to manage though and they're compatible with all types of BC's. Adding the angle adapter or swivel does add more points of failure, that is not to say they increase your likely hood of a failure.

Angle adapters use two standard hose connections to allow 2 points of 360 degree rotation between your second stage and hose. Swivels use two standard hose connection and a swivel to allow 3 points of 360 degrees rotation between your second stage and hose.

The swivel had a bad track record in which one such unit separated completely at the swivel point resulting in a massive loss of air from the diver's regulator hose. This was only 1 incident back in 2007 and only by 1 manufacturer as far as I know. A recall was made and today many swivels are sold and in use. I would recommend using a 90 degree Angle Adapter, since you only need 2 points of rotation, a third gets to be excessive.

To route your hose, the primary goes under your right arm and then into your mouth. The angle adapter allows for the hose to sit nicely along your right side. To donate, grab the hose under the angle adapter, pull the primary out of your mouth, spin the primary second stage around with your index finger, tuck your right elbow under the loop of your hose, and then outstretch your arm to hand it off.
Pros -
- OOA Donor give up a known working reg
- Backup is always slug under your chin, it will never move or drag if you've ziptied the bungee to it
Cons -
- Angle adapter/swivel may clash or hook onto your bungee backup; a turn of the head unhooks it
- New points of failure added; this does NOT mean it it likely to fail
XS-Scuba-Right-Angle-Underarm-Low-Pressure-Adapter.jpg 90 degree Angle Adapter
aquhaa52.jpg 20 degree Angle Adapter
102308d1314741684-long-er-hose-routing-what-do-you-do-scuba_swivel_innovative.jpg Swivel

Air2's & Integrated Octos - 26in-9ft primary, Integrated Octo Inflator
Integrated Octo Inflator or more popularly known as an Air 2 (after Scubapro's made-popular model) allows you to get rid of your octo hose and combine your inflator with a backup regulator. When donating air, the donor give up the primary and takes the Air 2.

With Air 2's regulator setups are 1 hose cleaner and BC's can now inflate faster. The Air 2 uses a different hose connection from the standard inflator. The connection is usually bigger and allows for more air to flow, meaning you can breath easy from the Air 2 and your BC can inflate faster. I would recommend getting a 40in primary hose at the very least. With an Air 2, dumping air on ascent with an OOA diver glued to you is very tricky.

To dump air on ascent there are 3 methods.

1) Remove Air 2 from mouth and dump.
Major problem with this is you lose your air source. The Pros is you have great control over how much air you dump.

2) Use alternative dump ports on BC
With this method you can dump a lot of air quickly, which can be both a pro and a con. One problem with this is you can lose some minute control over how much air you dump. A Pro is you get to keep an air source in your mouth.

3) Dump w/ Air 2
This method is tricky to use at times, but it's semi-familiar to the diver. To dump, you look up and depress the deflate button on your Air 2 while exhaling. If your bladder is over inflated, air should dump through the exhaust tee of your Air 2. Problems with this method are you have to be exhaling or risk breathing bladder air, it's a slow dump of air, and you have to be very vertical in the water column for this to work.

Pros -

- 1 less hose to clutter your regulator setup
- Air 2 is always in the same place

Cons -
- Air 2's are heavy units compared to standard inflators
- They can drag in the sand and get mucked up
- Because they can drag they could also clog or get stuck on inflate when you use it
- Some BC hoses are stiff and therefore push the Air 2 out of your mouth when you deploy it

I'm sure there are plenty of other pros and cons for these reg configurations. Feel free to ask around about them. Everyone has their own opinion.

Last edited:
I've done quite a few dives with my 7' hose not properly stowed, and for standard rec diving I don't think it's really a problem. It sort of holds itself against your body if it makes its way free.

Fantastic replies. Just what I needed. Thank you very much.

(g1138, the attachments on the angle adapters don't work but I found the images on google.)

Last edited:
I found a 42 inch hose with a angle, routed under my right arm is perfect for me. I use a standard 40 inch with octo attached to my BCD.

I have a long hose (7ft) setup with a BP/W and a travel Zeagle Stiletto with a Air II octo. The long hose seemed like a good idea at the time but except for drills I have never used it.

I may go back to a standard length hose and anyone that may need to air share (has not happened yet) will just have a standard length hose to deal with. Having the long hose is a bit of a pain even if I don't really notice it much when diving, more topside/packing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom