Crazy to use a Mares Puck as my SPG on a pony bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mje113

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I'm diving NJ this summer and redundancy is mandatory. The last time I rented the tank + reg, the reg lacked an SPG and the reg looked pretty beat up. I didn't think much of it at the time (checked pressure at the dive shop), but really lost confidence in the setup.

I'm planning to move to doubles eventually so I recently bought a doubles reg set, and configured one to be used on my main single tank, and the other to be used on the pony until I've had some doubles training. I got a button SPG for the pony reg, but now that it's in my hand I'm not sure how readable it'll be at depth.

But then I realized that I have an old but working Mares Puck AI computer... the hose is longer than I'd need, but I think I can wrap and bungie it to the tank. That in theory would give me a 2nd backup computer too. Or is this just overkill?

IMG_5756.jpeg

A button gauge is more than adequate on a pony. Pony is for when SHTF, and the dive is over. You are getting out. If you really need to know how much pressure or gas you have in it during the dive, you have the wrong size safety net...

That being said, you could. With it you have a built in backup pdc. Does it run a similar algorithm? I once had a Puck in my dry suit pocket during a dive. According to it, my dive needed DECO while my pdc on my wrist was fine. Later when I looked at it, I was shocked to see it locked out....Glad I didn't need it...

I would vote, overkill.
If this pony is purely for redundancy and safety, then in the event you have to use it, knowing how much gas it currently holds is irrelevant. Check it before you get in the water and be done with it.
Adding another hose, o-rings and a computer is adding more failure points into your safety than required. Keep it simple.

A button gauge is more than adequate on a pony. Pony is for when SHTF, and the dive is over. You are getting out. If you really need to know how much pressure or gas you have in it during the dive, you have the wrong size safety net...

That being said, you could. With it you have a built in backup pdc. Does it run a similar algorithm? I once had a Puck in my dry suit pocket during a dive. According to it, my dive needed DECO while my pdc on my wrist was fine. Later when I looked at it, I was shocked to see it locked out....Glad I didn't need it...
Yeah these are good points... I guess I'll only really need to check PSI before entering water and if I need it I'm ascending right away.

It is a different algorithm--and I already have a primary and a backup computer that use the same.

I would vote, overkill.
If this pony is purely for redundancy and safety, then in the event you have to use it, knowing how much gas it currently holds is irrelevant. Check it before you get in the water and be done with it.
Adding another hose, o-rings and a computer is adding more failure points into your safety than required. Keep it simple.
Makes sense... and the computer is about 10 years old with original hose so I can see why that would be a safety concern.

The hose is probably nothing special, if it's standard, get a new short one and hook it up liek the ones I'm sure you've seen on the boat. I agree you don't really need to see the gauge on a pony but it won't hurt, and if that acts as your backup computer, you won't be forgetting it.
Not ideal for more advanced stuff but for now, you own it, and it can serve a purpose.

I would leave it just like it is and run the hose down and bungee it to the tank with some inner tube strips or a piece of an old wetsuit arm, whatever. Make a piece of bungee with two loops close together and you can put one side on the valve, and shove the computer through the other to hold it.

I use that instead of the button SPG. Is the gauge/display big enough? Can you easily read it? If so, go for it. Button SPGs are a thing and some folks like them, but I prefer real SPGs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom