How to keep feet off the bottom... Very noob question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

temet vince

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok, I'm a relatively new diver. I only have 8 dives and 4.5 hours of dive time total, so I know that I shouldn't be too picky because it just takes practice, but I want to be perfect dang it! :dork2:

I use a Freedom plate (LOVE IT!) and a weight belt. One thing I've been having trouble is keeping my feet elevated when I'm not moving. All my dives are lake dives with other newbie divers, and needless to say the bottom gets kicked up a lot. I try to not be the one who does it.

But it seems like we stop a lot to look at cool things. Which is cool, except then my feet sink and hit the bottom. Is there a way to stop this? Would moving weights from my belt to the top of the back of the Freedom plate help? I'm working on frog kicking, and so keeping my knees bent may fix the problem, but I haven't tried it yet.

Like I said. Total noob.

I wish I could answer this, but if I could I wouldn't be having the same problem most of the time. I have found that moving up some of my weight has helped though.

Just keep trying. Are you over weighted? Do you need to keep kicking to keep from sinking? If that is the case, take some weight off. Getting buoyancy down takes time and experience. I appreciate that you understand the importance of not kicking up the bottom. One day you will be in the ocean and you definitely don't want to be the one to kick over the 4 foot vase coral.

...then my feet sink and hit the bottom. Is there a way to stop this? Would moving weights from my belt to the top of the back of the Freedom plate help? I'm working on frog kicking, and so keeping my knees bent may fix the problem, but I haven't tried it yet.

Like I said. Total noob.
To start and answer your question directly, yes moving weight from the belt to the top/back can help. Bending your legs some at the knees is also helpful. How negative are your fins? Going to OMS Slipstreams was the exact tweak I needed to get my feet up. (not a product plug, just an example of what I needed to make the final adjustment). Moving your tank up in the cam bands can also help. Other folks will likely chime in with some great ideas. Time in the water with someone to observe can be invaluable in assessing your trim. Good luck and keep at it, it is worth the effort. You have made the first big step by recognizing the need and wanting to correct your trim.

Yeah, what they said. When you go diving, if you plan to do two dives a day, use one of them solely to practice buoyancy. Start with a buoyancy check to ensure you are not over weighted. Then, at differing depths, get trim (horizontal) and try to stay there. Bend your legs. Straighten your legs. Clasp your wrist and push your arms out. Now pull them in. These are all small body position changes that will affect your trim.

Keep at it. Working on buoyancy & trim can be fun too.

1. Buoyancy - Keeping an adequate distance away from the bottom.

2. Trim - Keeping your body horizontal and flat, so that your legs don't dangle below you.

Lots of threads here on Scubaboard that provide excellent advice on improving your buoyancy and trim.

I've also got an article series:

Scuba Techniques - 10 Tips To Attain A Better Horizontal Hover -Scuba Tech Philippines

Scuba Buoyancy Masterclass 1of9 - Buoyancy Control for Scuba Divers -Scuba Tech Philippines

You need to get you buoyancy down and work on trim as well.

First are you horz in the water or vertical? You need to be as horizontal as possible. ______/ Like so....with your feet being the highest point.

If you try and go horz and end up at a 45 degree angle you can adjust some weight. Start with the tank. If you are head up move the tank up. If that does not fix it add some weight to the top cam band.

If your feet are heavy (always sinking) you may want to get lighter fins. This can get expensive so if thinking of this you may want to try them out first. This is where friends or dive buddies come in handy. Some dive shops will let you try some out but most will not.

If your feet are floaty it is easy to add weight.

You can also move weight to the Cam/tank straps.

If necessary do a weight check if you feel you may be heavy.

This is a lot easier with some experienced folks to help. In any event this should get you started.

Good Luck!

All good ideas and better than mine. I use heavy split fins and my legs/feet are very negative, though not my top half. At certain times of year I use only the top to my 7 mil farmer john wetsuit when the water temp. means good protection to the core is needed, but not to the legs. So.... I tie floats to my ankles--little ones, you know, that boats use as bumpers. About 8' by 4" or so. I'm usually solo diving at this time, thus no one sees this dorky setup. I'm suprised there isn't a unit like this sold for divers. You can get ankle weights. All the other ideas are better anyway if they work. Fin buoyancy is very important. Also, maybe practising a lot of hovering in any position may help. Consider a Peak Perf. Buoyancy course.

Last edited:
Would you happen to have a picture of yourself suited up or just your gear?

scuba 001.jpg

I also generally wear a 5mm or a 6.5mm full body wetsuit.

Thanks for the tips everybody! DevonDiver, I'll be reading through those links.
I don't think I'm over weighted. I haven't dove in awhile, but iirc I only use 4 lbs in freshwater. But then again, I am new and new people tend to overweight.
My fins are probably way too negative. Shoot, if the great TMHeimer still has trouble, maybe I should just give up on trying! :wink: It just really bugs me to have my feet sinking. I was hoping there was an easy answer. Sounds like other people have the same problem sometimes.
My bouyancy is generally pretty good (for a beginner), and I usually adjust it by breathing, but my trim could be awful. It's so difficult to tell without seeing yourself on video or in a picture imo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom