Drysuit buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitchell Teeters

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My dive buddy has a tls350 and having some serious buoyancy issues. How to start, he is having difficulty getting negative buoyancy and as a result he is (in my opinion) over weighted. Here is why. When he plunges to the bottom his wing won't lift him. He has to inflate his drysuit to get any lift. He added all the weight at the instruction of his LDS. His trim is screwed up but that is another matter. I need to get on my laptop. Expect editing.

so he needs to do a proper weight check with the suit. He needs to burp the suit and figure the weight out from there. If he's diving that heavy that is dangerous, not just bad, it's dangerous. With a drysuit, you have the same buoyancy at 3 feet as you do at 300ft so there is no reason to have to compensate that much. It sounds like he has no business diving a drysuit. Tell him to find another shop because whatever fukwit taught him how to do a weight check needs to be reevaluated on his competency because that is not just "bad" teaching, that could kill him. You drop that weight belt for whatever reason and he is skyrocketing to the surface, and let me tell you, once the investigators bring that weight issue into the game and find this thread about the LDS telling him how to weigh it, that is a serious lawsuit in the making.
Sorry for being harsh, but there is a difference in 10lbs overweight and 30-40lbs overweight by the sound of it. I don't dive a weight belt, but with double 72's I can dive my drysuit in 40* water.

Oh saxplayer I'm not offended. I've been on him for a while about this. Today was the last straw for him. I'm about to tell him that we aren't diving together again until its fixed. I don't deal with his LDS, mostly because I'm not near it, but frankly I haven't been impressed with them, nor their attitudes when I have dealt with them. He took a DS class with them, and I'm about to tell him he needs to request some serious help from them to get this squared away.

I usually gladbag myself in on the shore by curling into a little ball, then when I get in the water I thrash around like sharkbait to stretch out the undergarments. That gets most of the air out. On the other hand, I suspect I'm fairly overweighted too.

Sounds like the problems descending come from him not fully deflating his drysuit before putting the rest of his gear on. I find it easier to crouch in to a small ball and lift my neck seal as well. Dangerous situation when his BCD can't give him enough buoyancy (I assume it's less than 60fsw deep).

He burps the hell out of the suit, it is suctioned onto him when he gets out of the water before putting on the harness. Ya we aren't that deep.

I agree, it sounds like he's not burping excess air out of his suit before the dive & then doing a proper weight check. To burp my suit, I not only curl into a ball just before I finish zipping the zipper all the way, but I also have the ability to wade about waist deep into the water & then I crunch down, lift my left shoulder & vent any extra air out, before the dive. You'd be surprised how much air there is still trapped after balling up. I would certainly stear him to another instructor who has considerable drysuit experience. Depending on how new he is, it also sounds as if he may still be retaining excess air in his lungs, especially if he is not comfortable in a cold water environment.

burping the hell out of the suit and burping the suit before a weight check are very different things though. When you burp the suit that is when you have to do the weight check. I don't bother with my left wing up though, I just crack the neck seal, it works better and faster. Same when I get out of the water, just crack the seal and it inflates back up for you. Not preaching to you obviously, but this dude needs some serious help and if I saw someone weighted that much and it wasn't mission specific then there is no way I would dive with them.

Difficulty descending is the biggest reason why people overweight themselves ... and there's a cure for it regardless of what exposure equipment they're wearing.

First ... some concepts ...

- The biggest reason why people have trouble getting down is because they are unconsciously kicking while descending ... which has the effect of sending yourself up while you're trying to go down. Have him cross his feet at the ankles. This won't stop him from kicking ... because that's a brain function that needs practice to "rewire" itself ... but it will make him aware that he's doing it, so he can take the conscious effort to begin the rewiring process.

- There's a "right" way to breathe while descending ... and it all happens within the first few feet of the descent. When you're ready to go ... when you and your buddy have exchanged the "OK to descend" signals and have raised your BCD inflator hose ... take a big deep breath in and hold it. Start letting air out of your BCD, but don't start breathing out until you're at about eye level with the surface. Now exhale slowly and completely ... and when you're done exhaling, exhale some more. You'll be surprised how much air is still in there. Never forget that your lungs are a part of your buoyancy system and it's just as important to empty your lungs completely as it is your BCD. Exhaling slowly ... and taking that extra second or two to really "push" the air out at the end ... gives you time to get a few feet underwater before you have to inhale again. If you inhale too close to the surface, the buoyancy of your lungs just sends you back up ... making you think you need more weight. You want to be at least five or six feet below the surface before breathing in.

These two simple things will make him aware if he's overweighted ... because if it's as bad as you say it is, he'll sink like a rock and likely crater into the bottom because all that extra weight will make it difficult for him to arrest his descent once you're down far enough for pressure to become your friend.

Now let's address the weight check. If bottom topography allows, I prefer doing it this way ...

- Drain your tank down to the desired reserve at the end of the dive ... typically 500 psi. This is where your tank is most buoyant, and where you want it to be for a proper weight check.

- In about 8 feet of water, let all the air out of everything ... BCD, drysuit and lungs. You should have just enough buoyancy to gently lay on the bottom. Now ... remember that fin pivot they taught you in OW class? This is about the only practical use for it. While laying on the bottom, breathe in. If you are properly weighted ... in about 8 feet of water ... you should be able to fin pivot ... chest rising off the bottom as you inhale and sinking back to the bottom as you exhale. If you have to add any air at all in order to make your chest rise on the inhale, you're overweighted. If you cannot make your chest touch the bottom on a full exhale, you're underweighted. Add or remove weights as needed to achieve a good fin pivot without any air in BCD or drysuit.

It's not uncommon for divers using this method to remove a surprising amount of lead ... and discover they never needed it in the first place ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom