Wing to go with "Vintage Dacor Backplate and harness"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CoasterFreak

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am still a newbie, and getting used to all the new terms and equipment options. On the way out of town last week I dropped by a Craigslist poster and picked up an old Dacor Backplate. I figured for the $15 I could check it out and see what I an do with it. Worst case I learn a bit and and am out not much.

So my question is, seeing all the talk on here about BP+wing setups, do these old plates work with any of the modern wings? If not, what kind of wing do I need to be looking for? The guy I bought it off was not real helpful.

Here is a link to a near-identical one from eBay a while back. May have been the same seller (HA).

Vintage Dacor Backplate and harness | eBay

Thanks in advance.

I remember diving those rigs, and they won't attach to a present day wing (at least not safely).

We used to use a "horse-collar" type bc for buoyancy and/or (as I remember in the early '80s) a drysuit.

those are from the old horse collar bc's. People still use them today with no buoyancy compensators. cool things to play with and I use one on occasion. Can't use it with the modern wings to my knowledge. Might be able to get creative with some of the singles and doubles wings though, who knows. that's a question for the vintage guys. Find herman on here and he'll tell you if it'll go or not. He lives down the street from me, but he knows best on this matter

That backpack was probably intended to be used with a horsecollar wing, sort of like a life-preserver type vest. You can find those, and it's kind of interesting to use them along with a vintage regulator. You might have trouble fitting a modern wing that's designed for two cambands.

An excellent alternative would be the freedom plate, a modern single-tank plate inspired by these vintage backpacks. The freedom plate has slots for two cambands and works quite well with a variety of wings.

You could use that plate with a wing but you'd have to do some modifications.
Get a Hog wing or old Oxycheq razor wing and you'll need to pull the stainless hardware off the plate.
In order to make the wing attach you have to lay the wing down onto the back of the plate where you want it and burn a couple holes into the center panel material through the wing where the holes for the stainless bands go, NOT THROUGH THE BLADDER OR BLADDER COMPARTMENT!.
Replace the hardware back onto the plate with the wing held firmly in place in between the stainless hardware and the plate.
This will work but it's tricky.

I have one of those plates and I made a perfect replica of it out of fiberglass by making a mold of the original and then casting my own exact part. It's a lot stronger than the stock plastic ones. If you look at the pocket that also forms the tank holder part, I intend to cut a couple slots on each side of that and use soft cam bands so I can put a Oxycheq Mach V wing on it.
The stainless single band will have to come off and not be used.
I'll post a pic of what I'm trying to explain when I get a chance - bear with me.

Or you could just learn to dive with no BC like the old days but you'll also need a 6.9" diameter old steel 72 to work with that stock stainless band because they don't adjust out far enough for a 7.25" diameter tank.
-Or, if you want to use a 7.25" diameter tank (like an aluminum or HP 100) you'll need to fabricate a longer u bolt - the end with the wing nuts on it.

The guys pretty much have it nailed, that BP is for diving either with no BC at all (my preferred way), a May West type flotation device or with a horse collar BC. Of the old style BPs, I prefer those type, they are very comfortable IMO. As for using it on tanks other than 72s (6.9 inch diameter actually, there were/are several sizes with that diameter) it may or may not fit 80s. The later ones had adjusting slots to accommodate different sizes tanks but without seeing the band I can't tell. If it does not accommodate different tank sizes, I have a simple modification will allow you to use them with 80's.

Your best option is to either dive it as intended (no BC) or sell it and use the cash for a different BC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom