Renting my own boat in Key Largo, John Pennekamp? Other snorkeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

love4God

New
Reaction score
Hi all,

My family and i are RV'ing around the country and I just scored a long weekend reservation at John Pennkamp, it must have been a cancellation or something. it was the only site available.

Anyway, I was looking at the snorkeling trips and for my family of 5 we're probably around $140 for a state park trip with 1 1/2 hours in the water or maybe a little cheaper with a private company off the park. However, for about $190 for the day I can rent my own 20' boat.

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice. How far out do the snorkeling trips go? If it's a nice day (low wind) is it feasible for me to take my boat out there and just snorkel at our leisure? i was hoping to do some snorkeling with my family and maybe a couple hours of fishing.

Any other spots I may be able to go to? My wife would like to see the Jesus statue, is that something I could find on my own? Boat has a gps.

Any other advice? Thanks.

The boat rental company should be able to help you on this, thats why they rent them for people like you, take a fishing pole also and get a day liscence.

Hey love4God,
If you are up by Pennekamp you should definitely try and see Christ of the Abyss. It isn't deep, 20'-30', but has some of the best coral that I have seen while in the keys. By the way the statue will have a tall "sausage" looking buoy marking the statue. Be careful as this site is busy and the bigger boats will want the balls. DON'T Anchor here as it will destroy coral, either wait for a ball or hit another site. Also you might check out French Reef which is offshore a little ways west of COTA but has mooring balls to tie to and has some awesome swim-throughs if you guys are going to be on SCUBA. Molasses Reef is another option but it is REAL busy. Ask the shop that you are going with for coords but I will look at my GPS and shoot you coordinates for both Christ of the Abyss and French. What are you using for gear?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom