Need Suggestions/Comments on Streamlining

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OblomovBukowsky

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dear all,

I have been a long time reader of Scubaboard, but this is my first ever post.
Mods please move this post if I have chosen the the wrong forum.

Just to show you all my diving history and background:
I am currently living in Indonesia in Southeast Asia and I have been diving for a couple years, logging more than 200 dives and have collected enough PADI specialties to be eligible for their Master Scuba Diver rating.
I have recently finished a one month PADI Divemaster internship.
I am not looking to work professionally in the industry, but in the future I am interested in taking PADI IDC for the challenge.

For now, I am interested in and learning UW photography.
In the future I might also want to try doing some technical diving.

My current gear set up is as follow:
- Scubapro S600/MK25 with 3 gauges in console (depth, pressure, compass)
- Scubapro Air 2
- Scubapro T-Force
- Suunto Zoop

Recently I have been noticing a lot more divers here who are using BP/W, which looks very streamlined.
After trying a BP/W set up, I also find it very very comfortable and stable underwater.

So now I am thinking of buying one and changing my set up to below:
- Scubapro S600/MK25 with just the SPG.
- Scubapro Octo.
- Halcyon Infinity with Alum backplate and the Quick Cinch harness.
- One Suunto D9 and back up Suunto Vyper Air.

The main goal for me to change my set up is to be as streamlined as possible underwater and to be as light as possible on the surface while maintaining redundant safety, hence the two computers.

With the two computers I would have three pressure gauges (1 analog SPG, 1 wireless air pressure gauge on the Suunto D9, and one standby on the Vyper Air), two digital compasses (on the Suunto computers), two digital depth meters (on the Suunto computers).

Other accessories I always have on me on any dive:
- Back up light (UK Q40 eLed)
- DSMB
- Reel for deploying SMB
- Divealert airhorn and Storm whistle
- UK knife (small, mounted on inflator hose)

I am looking for some comments and / or suggestion on my idea.

Thank you.

Oblomov

Nice move to BP/W. You will enjoy the the Infinity a lot. I prefer steel as you move lead off your body. Also good to see you will are dumping the Air2. If you are not planning on going tech/deco I would not bother with the D9, rather go Zoop. IMO the AI gives little value unless you have the cash to spare. If you do decide to go D9, get the tx (trimix support). I would also sell/retire the console and get a SPG clipped to left hip d-ring.

Nice move to BP/W. You will enjoy the the Infinity a lot. I prefer steel as you move lead off your body. Also good to see you will are dumping the Air2. If you are not planning on going tech/deco I would not bother with the D9, rather go Zoop. IMO the AI gives little value unless you have the cash to spare. If you do decide to go D9, get the tx (trimix support). I would also sell/retire the console and get a SPG clipped to left hip d-ring.

Dear ajduplessis,

Thank you for the reply.

Reason for the alum is because I want to cut down on weight, I mainly travel by air on my dive trips.

As for the Air 2, the reason I am thinking of replacing it is to be more streamlined not because of safety issues/concern.
If I can find lighter/less bulky alternate air source-inflator I might opt for that, rather than having an extra reg as octopus and an extra hose on my body.

For the comps, reason I am want to get a D9 and a Vyper Air, is because I like the idea of having redundant/back up gauges. With the two computers I will have 3 pressure gauges (1 analog, 2 digital), 2 digital compasses on the comp (Zoop doesnt have compass), and 2 digital depth meter (also on the comps).

Also, if I decide to do tech diving in the future, I can use the D9 (with the trimix capability).

What do you think?
Any other suggestion to be even more streamlined?

I like the gear you already have but a switch to a BP/W may not be a bad idea ONLY if you have been diving one and can tell a NOTICEABLE difference in what you already have. Even if you make the switch you could keep your AIR II if it will fit. Some folks on SB who dive a BP/W still use the AIR II system. Don't know if the Infinity will allow for that.

If I were you I'd also look hard at any redundant equipment you carry on a dive thinking of the diving you do. Do you really NEED a back-up light? Do you NEED a SMB and reel on every dive? Do you NEED two computers? Maybe some dive conditions it would be smart to have some of these things but I'd bet a lot of diving you may do they don't really add to your safety and you could go without.

If you have read through these threads you have probably seen some folks talk about being a "minimalist diver". From my understanding that means using as little gear as possible but still be able to safely complete the dive. That's what I have been trying to do over the past few years. I have ditched all the redundant and unnecessary stuff. Doing that will probably go a long way in being more streamlined.

I like the gear you already have but a switch to a BP/W may not be a bad idea ONLY if you have been diving one and can tell a NOTICEABLE difference in what you already have. Even if you make the switch you could keep your AIR II if it will fit. Some folks on SB who dive a BP/W still use the AIR II system. Don't know if the Infinity will allow for that.

If I were you I'd also look hard at any redundant equipment you carry on a dive thinking of the diving you do. Do you really NEED a back-up light? Do you NEED a SMB and reel on every dive? Do you NEED two computers? Maybe some dive conditions it would be smart to have some of these things but I'd bet a lot of diving you may do they don't really add to your safety and you could go without.

If you have read through these threads you have probably seen some folks talk about being a "minimalist diver". From my understanding that means using as little gear as possible but still be able to safely complete the dive. That's what I have been trying to do over the past few years. I have ditched all the redundant and unnecessary stuff. Doing that will probably go a long way in being more streamlined.

Dear BDSC,

Thank you for the comments.
Yes, I have borrowed and dove a Halcyon Infinity recently and I loved it.
For me, a BP/W feels more stable, more comfortable, and more streamlined than my old jacket style T-Force.
However, I have never tried any other brand of BP/W. Maybe you can recommend other brand?

As for the back up light, the one I have now (Underwater Kinetics, model Q40 eLed) is a very small and slim underwater torch (4 AA batteries), so it doesn't really affect my streamline profile. I put it in my T Force pocket. With the Halcyon Infinity, I can put it under the rubber bands on the harness near my shoulder.

For me, I do need to take my DSMB and reel for every dive, as many of the dive sites here in Indonesia have good currents (Komodo, Raja Ampat, some sites in Bali, etc). Current is also another reason why I always have a backup light even during day dives.
Actually I don't have a reel, only a finger spool.
Another reason why I always bring my DSMB and spool is to warn surface boat traffic on my ascent.
Boat crews here can be quite careless (lack of awareness and training) in regard to divers ascending to surface.
However, I don't take my DSMB and spool when I shore dive in places with no/light current and no/light boat traffic (ex: Tulamben in Bali, Lembeh strait).

As for two computers, I have outlined my reasoning above.

Once again, thank you for the comment.

After trying a BP/W set up, I also find it very very comfortable and stable underwater.
You've answered your own question! Fit and comfort are the most important traits needed in a BC. BPs&Wings tend to be a bit on the spartan side and so they tend to be more streamlined, but I have seen people defeat that with excessive gear all over the place. While I applaud your desire for redundancy, having three methods to check air will only take away from the simplicity. Pick one that you trust and are comfortable with. Your buddy should be your redundancy in this instance and the extras just complicate things. I examine my gear on a continual basis as whether I actually use something on a dive. If I go two or three dives without using it, it's GONE. Of course, the SMB, reel, cutting devices and lights are exempt from that scrutiny.

In real practice though, gear has very little impact on being streamlined when compared to your trim. Weight distribution and bad habits, like hand sculling, will do more to destroy your ability to move easily through the water than gear ever could. Its not that gear isn't important, its just that people often through gear at a skill issue and come away wondering why things don't improve.

I don't have a lot of experience, but I'll reiterate what others have said. The benefit of the BP/W setup (after fit) is its minimalist approach. Adding a bunch of redundant gear to a BPW is no longer minimalist. We each dive the way we want but I would agree that 3 gauges aren't necessary.

I currently have a small SPG and wear a wrist mount computer and a wrist mount compass. My SPG gets attached to my right shoulder D-ring because all I do is shift my eyes to see my air. I prefer that to the left hip, but others disagree. I have two cutting devices, two small Intova lights and a DSMB. My steel plate pretty much makes weights negligible for me in light exposure protection, but when I wear them the go directly on my harness, rather than on a separate belt because that is more comfortable for me. In cold water, I wear a separate weight belt.

As for brands, I've tried the DiveRite transplate with harness and a singles wing as the only "production" kit I've used. I liked it very much. After researching a bunch of plates and wings I found I didn't see a dramatic difference in the plates and wings tend to be pretty similar as well. The "this is better than that" folks tend to be brand loyalists, which is fine, but unproductive in my opinion. For the most part an equally sized wing of the same design (full donut or horseshoe) will be more or less the same. Some have better covers and stitching, some have better inflators. For the most part, they are the same though and source their parts from the same places.

I bought a Salvo SS plate (much cheaper) and made a one piece webbing harness and 20# wing myself. Mine's equally comfortable for me and cost me about a third the price, which is important to me.

I like back inflate BC's. I dive a heavy plate and STA dry, and a Zeagle Stiletto wet. Actually I took my Stiletto with me to CA last trip (Drysuit) and it worked out well. Loading up on equipment is not the way to become streamlined.

I would try a Back inflate BC before getting a BP/W. I like my Stiletto with built in pockets and weight pockets and my Air II. With a BP/W you need a weight system or belt, and you need to hook stuff on rather than putting it in a pocket, or you can hang a pocket off the waist belt. When you find trash you have to carry that around, or carry some kinda bag hooked on somewhere. A pocket is very handy! BP/W's are minimal and functional, but back inflate BC's dive great, and they have built in weight systems and pockets. Also a heavy BP is not good for travel, so then you need something else.

The main thing however, look at a dolphin, beautiful, streamlined, fast in the water. Now look at us, awkward, stuff hanging all over, hoses sticking out, moves like mud underwater. We will never be streamline underwater so recognize no matter what that is true!

Dear ajduplessis,

Thank you for the reply.

Reason for the alum is because I want to cut down on weight, I mainly travel by air on my dive trips.

As for the Air 2, the reason I am thinking of replacing it is to be more streamlined not because of safety issues/concern.
If I can find lighter/less bulky alternate air source-inflator I might opt for that, rather than having an extra reg as octopus and an extra hose on my body.

For the comps, reason I am want to get a D9 and a Vyper Air, is because I like the idea of having redundant/back up gauges. With the two computers I will have 3 pressure gauges (1 analog, 2 digital), 2 digital compasses on the comp (Zoop doesnt have compass), and 2 digital depth meter (also on the comps).

Also, if I decide to do tech diving in the future, I can use the D9 (with the trimix capability).

What do you think?
Any other suggestion to be even more streamlined?

Thanks for the feedback. If you travel a lot the ali makes better sense. On the DC topic make sure you get the D9tx and not the D9. The latter only support nitrox mixes (no helium). Streamlining is a very important consideration along with simplistic gear configuration. There is absolutely no issue with the amount of gauges you plan on using, but it is a over kill IMO and will influence your main agenda "streamlining"

If you have dived the backplate setup and liked it better than what you have, why not? It's a good system and scales neatly up to technical diving, should you ever decide to do it. (I noticed you did mention that.)

If you are going to do any wreck penetration or any other diving where you are in proximity to silty bottoms, getting rid of the Air2 is a good idea. Combined octo-inflators are necessarily bulkier and usually longer than other inflator hoses, and in addition, they affect the interchangeability of gear with your buddies.

With respect to the D9, I agree with the viewpoint that there are better things on which to spend your money. In my experience with my husband's Vyper transmitter, they can be temperamental, and they really don't like valve drills :) In addition, it can be difficult to figure out where to put a transmitter so that it won't intefere with reaching one's valves.

So far, I've been underwhelmed by electronic compasses. I'd much rather stick with the SK-7, despite their tendency to develop fluid leaks every few years and have to be replaced.

Although Halcyon tends to be expensive, the brand has pretty good representation in Asia, so it may be a good choice just from that perspective. The money you might save by buying another brand might in part get eaten up by shipping costs and duty.

Back
Top Bottom