Am I A Wierdo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stig

Reaction score
I'm new to diving & i'm in the process of wadeing through the minefield of getting my gear. So far I think I'm doing ok, I know what I like & I'm trying to be minamalistic (because it's cheaper :tease: ) because I don't like clutter, However when I was discussing gear in my local store we got on to the subject of dive computers. Don't get me wrong I'm no techniphobe but when I told the guy that I didn't want one because I want to get experienced useing charts & gauges before becomeing reliant on computers & I would rather use money saved on a computer to get better reg's,bcd etc..
I got a very strainge reaction. :confused:
more as If I said that I believed that the moon was made of cheese & I'm a goat herder called Ivan van Glocken Hoffen. :viking:

So am I in a minority amongst minority? for wanting to cut my teeth on the basics before getting stuck into whizzy gadgets or was it shear horror that no matter how good his sales pitch was he wasn't going to get another £400 out of me? Or am I missing a bigger issue?

Stig once bubbled...
I'm new to diving & i'm in the process of wadeing through the minefield of getting my gear. So far I think I'm doing ok, I know what I like & I'm trying to be minamalistic (because it's cheaper :tease: ) because I don't like clutter, However when I was discussing gear in my local store we got on to the subject of dive computers. Don't get me wrong I'm no techniphobe but when I told the guy that I didn't want one because I want to get experienced useing charts & gauges before becomeing reliant on computers & I would rather use money saved on a computer to get better reg's,bcd etc..
I got a very strainge reaction. :confused:
more as If I said that I believed that the moon was made of cheese & I'm a goat herder called Ivan van Glocken Hoffen. :viking:

So am I in a minority amongst minority? for wanting to cut my teeth on the basics before getting stuck into whizzy gadgets or was it shear horror that no matter how good his sales pitch was he wasn't going to get another £400 out of me? Or am I missing a bigger issue?

Personally I think getting experience with the tables is a good idea. If nothing else you'll eventually remember the NDL's which may come in handy if your computer ever craps out. Using the tables also structures your planning a little better than the computer. You can't just jump in and "ride" the tables the way you can with a computer. You're forced to give the dive at least a basic think-through first.

The big advantage to computers is that they generally give you longer bottom times. Also, if you're diving on tables you *will* be an exception and some people might not want to dive with you because they won't want to sacrifice the extra bottom time. And finally the temptation to "ride" your buddy's computer is never far away when you're on tables. Obviously this is a bad habit but it takes a surprising amount of dicipline to not do it when you know his computer is still well in the green.

R..

That's pretty sound judgment on your part because it's exactly what I did :D
I got my OW in June of this year and the last piece of equiment I bought was the computer. In ref to diving, I'm fortunate to live in S FLA and diving is right in my backyard so beach and boat diving is available year round and every weekend. I waited 3 months or approx 20+ dives before purchasing my comp. In that time I also practiced calculating quite a few simulated dives just to make sure I could work repetitive profiles for dives deeper than 60 feet.
The computer has been a great addition allowing for multilevel diving and greater bottom times, although I still work my dive tables out before my dives just as good practice.

Regards,
Juan

I would say your computer is probably the last piece of equipment you need to buy after everything else, in fact I would probably say unless you're doing a series of multiple diving(more than 2) or deep diving you don't really need one!
I use to use tables, but generally found when my air was low it was about right for coming up anyway and on my second dive by the time I had lunch and got to the next dive site 1.5 hours plus, I was okay for a second dive, and buy the time my air was low it was about right for coming up again !
So I don't use a computer or tables, although I will probably get slated for saying this! Your mileage may differ of course and I would suggest you use tables to start with which helps you to learn safe surface interval times between dives and acceptable depths!

and Dive Retailers gotta sell enough equipment each month to stay in business.

If he'd sold goats, and you told him you didn't need a goat, you likely would have gotten the same reaction.

Computers are not at all necessary.

They do a few things well. But in all cases they should compliment, not replace, your own dive planning with tables.

New divers would be far better off if they took the money they would spend on a computer and spend it instead on going diving. The $700 you'd spend on a computer would pay for several nice dive weekends, and new divers would receive far more benefit out of doing the diving than out of owning a computer.

Doc

Sorry, but I don´t agree,
in my case, I got the computer 7 years after I started diving (mainly because og bugget problems), and I do beleive that you should know how to use the tables and what are there basis. But, probably you will go diving with people with computers and end up not using either the tables nor the computer. I think that having a computer (with all the advantages it has) doesn´t meen at all that you don´t think about your diving profile before and after diving + for security reasons, it´s a good idea to always carry both.
Some months ago my brother got his cert. and after getting his suit, I told him to get the computer next. The main reason for that is that you can rent about everything but a computer (at least in Spain).
Of course having a computer doesn´t mean you suddenlly are a skilled diver and of course it´s not an automatic pilot.
Please don´t even think about doing what was said before, diving without tables or computer, insane!
Torbaydiver, everybody is free to do what he want´s and dive as you want if you don´t put other people in risk, but please don´t say it, for unexpirienced divers, your advice can be very dangerous (I would say for you too).
Dive safe.
PS: I hadn´t read the last threat, I agree, computers are not necessary (washing machine isn´t either), and if your bugget is low, spend your money on diving.

I'm a new diver and at first was very much against a dive computer just like you. After forgetting to set my watch for the bottom time and with my wife and I having a hard time making good, slow ascents in open water without a reference line, I decided to buy a suunto vyper. I still use tables both for planning my dive and after my dive for figuring out RNT etc. (trained through ssi). I agree, you need to know the tables first and foremost, but you can use most computers in gauge mode.

Now that I have it, I will never dive without it. I love not having to remember to turn it on. I love being able to take a quick glance at my wrist and seeing my depth and not worrying about my console except to check psi, my bottom time and my ascent rate are right there every time I check my wrist. I love the three minute count down for my safety stop. But most of all I love the log book feature where I can go through all aspects of my dive including temp after I'm done.

I suppose a wrist bottom timer and depth gauge would do somewhat the same job. For about sixty dollars you can get a wrist mounted depth gauge, but check ebay- I bought my vyper brand new for $250.00 and Leisurepro sells them for 300.00.

The other thing I like is that sometime my wife descends sllloooowly (I mean really slowly, equallizing her ears every 6 inches). One time on a wreck where we went to about 80 foot it took her over four minutes to get down, which really limited out bottom time on the wreck. Although we were pushing the tables, the suunto (set conservatively) gave us nineteen more minutes of dive time.

I think it's a good investment, especially if your renting your reg and console. In fact- if money is limited (like mine) I'd say buy wrist mounted gauges first and rent your reg when you dive.

Tony.

You've confirm what I thought although I must admit I hadn't considered the "some people might not want to dive with you " argument. on the saftey side of things I'm not daft & I'm quite used to doing dangerous things safely. The key is useing the large thing between my ears...no not my nose! :tease:

I think I'll leave the Computer till a later date when I've got more dives under my belt & use the Computer as a means of more accuratly tracking my dive profiles. Besides, the money I save from that I can use to do my advanced PADI training & a few wreck dives. (on the south coast of england I've got hundreds choose from any suggestions?)

thanx again
Stig

Noobie :crawl:

I think you are on the right track! I 2nd and 3rd what several have posted above.
Right now your money would be better spent getting more logged dives and additional advanced training. I would be willing to bet that in months to come you will find that the time you spent mastering your tables will come in very handy!
As far as someone not diving with you because you don't use a computer.....Find another buddy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom