Gloomy dive on the Avalon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
After replacing a fuel pump on the boat this morning, we were anxious to get in a dive. I wanted to stay close to the marina, just in case, so we headed to one of our least favorite sites, the wreck of the Avalon. It's rare that we have good conditions here. Others seem to dive it when it's clear and calm, but not us. With a couple days of Santana winds, we had flat enough seas to expext decent vis. The top twenty feet were very nice. Unfortunately the wreck sits in seventy feet. I took a few shots of the bow, then swam toward the stern in search of better visibility. It only got worse the closer I got. I made my way back to the bow and ascended, along with a floating kelp plant that drifted toward our line. I trust the boat to make it to the south side of Palos Verdes tomorrow. I'll continue toe search for clear water.
AVALON1.jpg
Merry and No Pressure
AVALON2.jpg
AVALON7.jpg
AVALON8.jpg
AVALON9.jpg
Bow of the Avalon
AVALON4.jpg
AVALON5.jpg
Kelp Crab
AVALON11.jpg
Drifter

That second picture does not look like our lovely coast at all! Dark and gloomy indeed. Fantastic pictures - as usual!

I realize the camera always makes the viz look better than it is, but that second picture is average Puget Sound visibility . . . :)

The kelp pics are great...and yep that's what I remember of the Avalon. It looked the same on a night dive with Cooke 2 years ago. About all I could really see was his can light through the haze.

I realize the camera always makes the viz look better than it is, but that second picture is average Puget Sound visibility . . . :)

You must come for a visit then and see the light!

Great composition on the first floating kelp shot. I wonder where that drifter kelp crab will end up.

Another contrast to show how nice the visibility on the Avalon can be:
[video=youtube;flkqMT1Tiwg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flkqMT1Tiwg[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom