Who's liable when boat diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve1962

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
When boat diving with a dive company, who is liable when a diver is lost? Not left, but doesn't come back to the boat and is missed, and proper procedures are followed. I'm asking because a friend says that a diver should never go missing, I say unfortunately its one of the risks of diving that several conditions can cause. Whether they're diver related, or water related causes. I say no one is liable.

Subscribing.

FYI, you don't need to reply to the thread to subscribe to it. Click on <thread tools> on the menu to the top right of the first post on the page.

You mean legally liable?

Depends on what country your boat is registered, de-facto.

When boat diving with a dive company, who is liable when a diver is lost? Not left, but doesn't come back to the boat and is missed, and proper procedures are followed. I'm asking because a friend says that a diver should never go missing, I say unfortunately its one of the risks of diving that several conditions can cause. Whether they're diver related, or water related causes. I say no one is liable.
Which coast?
When you say dosen't come back do you mean they got lost underwater, as in I can't navigate my way out of an alley?
What were the procedures that were followed?
Who is the lost divers attorney?

You mean legally liable?

Depends on what country your boat is registered, de-facto.

Yes legally liable, and all the rules were followed. The diver did not return to the boat, and was missed at roll call, the coast guard or what ever rescue agency was informed.

Which coast?
When you say dosen't come back do you mean they got lost underwater, as in I can't navigate my way out of an alley?
What were the procedures that were followed?
Who is the lost divers attorney?

No attorney, just a discussion we were having. yes they got lost underwater and surfaced and aren't seen by the boat, whether its was from water conditions such as current, poor visibility etc, or someone who would couldn't navigate their way up and down the street. It started because of this article, and he said this was unacceptable and should never happen. My view is it does happen, and as divers we need to try and prepare ourselves for it the same way try and prepare for other issues that may happen while diving.

http://virginislandsdailynews.com/news/diver-describes-being-lost-at-sea-1.1244248#axzz1h589pSWl

Depends on the jurisdiction, but generally speaking if the dive boat op has adhered to the standard of care it will not be liable. Creative minds (counsel) can often come up with a reasonable theory based on a violation of the duty owed to the diver.The cases are usually won on the basis of an enforceable release having been signed by the diver regarding risks inherent in the sport.

As my husband would say, leave questions of law to the lawyers. Liability will depend on the law of the jurisdiction where the issue occurred.

Can they be sued? In the US, absolutely; you can sue for anything. Will they win? If they can show that the procedures followed were the standard of care for similar operations, the dive op may prevail.

Think about it . . . I've done dives where the briefing said, "Don't go here or the current will sweep you to Japan." If I go there and get swept, is the boat at fault? If I have a heart attack on the bottom and never come up, is the boat at fault? If my reg breathes wet and I panic and bolt for the surface and embolize, and sink before anybody sees me, is the boat at fault? There are a whole host of reasons why a diver might be missing, many of which involve no wrongdoing on the part of the dive operator at all. Whether the law or a court will see it that way, however, depends on where you are, and sometimes on the luck of the draw.

It is all about CYA

Back
Top Bottom