Scooter thread split from Diver missing from Vandenberg Wreck in Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divin'Papaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A discussion of the use of scooters split from the Vandenberg Diver missing from the A&I
I have not dived on those specific sites, but in general diving in strong currents need not be unpleasant or dangerous as long as you use the right equipment and procedures. The boat needs to be live (not anchored or tied in). The divers need to have scooters, and either tow floats throughout the dive or launch SMBs before leaving the site. Dive plans must be synchronized so that everyone starts their ascent at approximately the same time. And divers need to carry appropriate surface signaling devices including radios just in case they surface out of sight from the boat.

It is also possible to safely dive in strong currents without scooters as long as proper procedures are followed between the boat and the divers. I'm not a scooter diver and I dive in strong currents in Southeast FL all the time. Scooters can certainly be used and offer some alternative dive plans/profiles, but for most types of drift diving they are not required. It is important to point out that without proper procedures and communication, scooters can also cause issues for the charter captain, especially when they are mixed in with non-scooter divers.

It is also possible to safely dive in strong currents without scooters as long as proper procedures are followed between the boat and the divers. I'm not a scooter diver and I dive in strong currents in Southeast FL all the time. Scooters can certainly be used and offer some alternative dive plans/profiles, but for most types of drift diving they are not required. It is important to point out that without proper procedures and communication, scooters can also cause issues for the charter captain, especially when they are mixed in with non-scooter divers.
Sure, that's fine for drift diving but I was responding to a comment about wreck diving. I don't think it's smart to dive on a wreck (or other small site) in a strong current without a scooter because you can easily get blown off and unable to swim back. Then you're separated from the other divers.

If all the divers are just drifting during the entire dive without trying to remain on a wreck then it's not an issue.

I have not dived on those specific sites, but in general diving in strong currents need not be unpleasant or dangerous as long as you use the right equipment and procedures. The boat needs to be live (not anchored or tied in). The divers need to have scooters, and either tow floats throughout the dive or launch SMBs before leaving the site. Dive plans must be synchronized so that everyone starts their ascent at approximately the same time. And divers need to carry appropriate surface signaling devices including radios just in case they surface out of sight from the boat.
Scooters? I don't think you are familiar with Fla diving. I have dove plenty of deep wrecks in FLA and would never consider using a scooter. In fact, I hate those things, they bring noise into an otherwise pretty peaceful world. Kicking is a lot quieter.

Scooters? I don't think you are familiar with Fla diving. I have dove plenty of deep wrecks in FLA and would never consider using a scooter. In fact, I hate those things, they bring noise into an otherwise pretty peaceful world. Kicking is a lot quieter.
That's funny. The procedures we use for managing strong currents were originally developed by Florida wreck divers.
If you don't need the scooter then you can just clip it off once you reach the wreck and ignore it. But it's sure nice to have when the current gets stronger than you can swim against.

That's funny. The procedures we use for managing strong currents were originally developed by Florida wreck divers.
If you don't need the scooter then you can just clip it off once you reach the wreck and ignore it. But it's sure nice to have when the current gets stronger than you can swim against.
Bringing a scooter 'just in case' seems like a lot of overhead for something you may not even use.

How deep are those deep wrecks you are speaking of?

For small deep targets in current, it is generally impractical to tow a float, either with or without a scooter. There is just too much drag to make it worthwhile. Drifting into the wreck and then sending up an SMB at start of ascent (or as soon as is practical) is preferable, I think.

Even launching and hanging on to an smb (with a reel) in strong currents can be challenging if there is a large variation in current speed. I've seen days where, even with scope of double the depth, the reel is yanking the diver toward the surface and through the water. I've had to dump all the air from the BC and just try to manage the ascent rate by making a ton of drag and staying as heavy as I can.

High currents and deep wrecks definitely present some challenges and unique dangers. Entanglement with lines hanging off the superstructure in 3-4 knots and ending up being suspended in the water column is one of my nightmares as is, smashing into the super structure in low vis, due to inadvertently not facing down stream.

In short, diving in strong currents IS dangerous, if only because it may be impossible for a downstream buddy to provide any assistance at all.

I have dove plenty of deep Fl wrecks (130-270’) and had a scooter on all of them.
Rationalization for a lack of skill and fitness. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom