Diver missing from Vandenberg Wreck in Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very sad to hear this and best wishes for a positive outcome quickly. When I dove the Vand. the current was raging+, viz was 12’-15’ and it was one of the only times I honestly thought I wasn’t going to make it home. Lots of calm blue water days (and pics online) but on the wrong day this wreck can be far, far from that.

Strong currents at Vandenberg have always been a concern for some divers.

Currents from the Keys all the way up the east coast of Florida can be challenging, quite challenging, especially for divers who are not used to that kind of current or are not ready for it. Trying to dive a moored wreck in crazy strong current is some of the most difficult diving there is. Very easy to get yourself in trouble if you haven't worked through your protocols. I far prefer hot dropping wrecks in strong current, but that only works with a really large wreck, a wreck with significant sheltering relief, or series of wrecks.

Attachments

• Thomas.jpg
    Thomas.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Authorities look for missing dive instructor off Key West | Miami Herald.pdf
    48.6 KB · Views: 100
According to the news reports he is an instructor at a shop in Key West, Lost Reef Adventures. I assume that means he knows the wreck, is familiar with strong currents, and is properly outfitted for ocean diving. Gives some hope that he is adrift and can be found.
Agreed. Lost Reef is who I was out there with also; solid boat and operation from everything I experienced/remember. It is another reason why I strongly believe in PLB’s though.

If he had a light and he made it to the surface, then they would have found him the first night. It has been calm for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom