Looking for a dive place out east

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shipwreckscanada

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am planning a trip for two weeks in the eastern provinces this coming summer. Although I am from Montreal, I have never been east of Quebec City. I would like to make diving a big part of this trip and would like to know if anyone can share with me some good places to dive. I can plan this trip any time in July or August. I like wrecks and exotic aquatic life. Seals, whales or sharks would also be very nice. Someone may have other suggestions, something you liked and think others like me would like. I can dive with a dry suit as well if needed. My problem is that I do not have a dive buddy, so I think I would need a dive resort or dive charter. Can anyone help me with a suggestion?

In New Brunswick there is Deer Island, which has the best variety and concentration of marine life on the East Coast. You can hire a guided dive with a DM, and depending on your experience there are several dives possible for drifts & walls (I am a guide);
Guided Diving
Photos: Deer Island, New Brunswick Photo Gallery by Connie Bishop at pbase.com

Mainland Nova Scotia there are wrecks and shore diving. Torpedo Rays arranges charters for the wrecks and shore dives, they have DM's on those so I believe you could arrange for one to buddy with you;
Torpedo Rays Scuba - Rule The Water - Welcome

Cape Breton NS has wreck diving and one particular marine life dive site that is very nice (Grand Narrows/Iona train bridge "barge wreck"). There are a few operators out there that could help you;
Ingo Vollmer, Arichat. Ingo and his family run a resort and charter, this is the place to go to dive the wreck of the Arrow which is the best 3D wreck within recreational limits on the East Coast;
Enjoy the very beautiful autumn in Cape Breton.
Adventurers Dive Log:Underwater Photography by Ingo Vollmer

Louisbourg Wrecks & area (ask them about diving Grand Narrows, wonderful marine life dive site & a wreck dive.. all from shore!);
Louisbourg Scuba Diving Services
Index

Nova Scotia photos: Scuba Diving in Nova Scotia Photo Gallery by Connie Bishop at pbase.com

If you make it as far as Newfoundland, they have just awesome wreck diving off Bell Island (WWII wrecks, fantastic shape!) and marine life shore dive sites;
Home
Photos: Scuba Diving in Newfoundland Photo Gallery by Connie Bishop at pbase.com

Good Luck, there is lots to see east of Quebec!

The Best Wreck diving in eastern Canada is near Halifax NS and St. John's NL (Bell Island) . Many wrecks off of Halifax several are in fairly good shape... See Torpedoo Rays Dive Shop in either Halifax or across Halifax Harbour in Dartmouth...they have connections with local charters and will take care of all your diving needs. Here is a link :Torpedo Rays Scuba - Rule The Water - Welcome

Just off of Bell Island (about 30min Drive from St. John's NL) are Four Sunken Iron Ore Carriers that were torpedoed by U-Boats in WWII... these 4 wrecks are approx 400ft in length and are intact and sitting upright...amazing diving in May and June with 100ft vis... Vis drops to 20 to 40ft in July and Aug but not always that bad. Ocean Quest has lodging facilities and also has a great Charter boat and like Torpedo Rays...can get you all the Air/Gas and gear you'd need. Here is their link : Home

Have a Great vacation in Eastern Canada

Joe

If you are looking at nice wreck diving from shore, the wrecks around Iona bridge / Grand Narrows are the best place to go. Your advantage there is that you do not need a large group for a boat charter ( or in this case, a boat at all...) Therefore, also the weather ( strong winds ) are not a problem. When it comes to marine life, the Grand Narrows wreck is very difficult to top. We can also arrange dives at the Arrow or the Finchley, another beautiful 3D wreck on the east coast. If the historic wreck in Louisbourg harbour is on your list, my buddy Harvey from Louisbourg Scuba can help you out there. He is currently the only authorized guide from Parks Canada to take divers to the wreck. Let me know if you plan to come to Cape Breton and we can help you out.
Michael
Index

You guys are the best. Thank you so much for the great links and suggestions. I put them all in my favorites and bookmarked this post. I have a lot of homework to do for this coming summer; however, I am sure I will see some of you out there.

If you are looking at nice wreck diving from shore, the wrecks around Iona bridge / Grand Narrows are the best place to go. Your advantage there is that you do not need a large group for a boat charter ( or in this case, a boat at all...) Therefore, also the weather ( strong winds ) are not a problem. When it comes to marine life, the Grand Narrows wreck is very difficult to top. We can also arrange dives at the Arrow or the Finchley, another beautiful 3D wreck on the east coast. If the historic wreck in Louisbourg harbour is on your list, my buddy Harvey from Louisbourg Scuba can help you out there. He is currently the only authorized guide from Parks Canada to take divers to the wreck. Let me know if you plan to come to Cape Breton and we can help you out.
Michael
Index

I am not familiar with the term 3D wrecks. Does this mean that the wreck is completely intact?

You mentioned not having been east of Quebec City.. have you dove at Les Escoumins? That is close by there and definitely worth seeing for amazing marine life. I don't know of any operators out that way though for guided diving. The closest dive shop that I know arranges assorted group trips is in Victoriaville, maybe check them out too!
PLONGE XL, VICTORIAVILLE, Qubec / cole de plonge, Formation d'instructeurs PADI (Centre IDC) - Accueil

I am familiar with Les Escoumins but never went. I have it as a must do.

3D basically means that there is a somewhat intact hull. To see a completely intact wreck, you have to dive the deep wrecks, where they are protected by storms and ice. Anything in recreational limits is exposed to surface conditions either one way or the other, and it is more difficult to find an intact wreck. A 3D wreck in recreational depths has usually and intact hull, but parts of the superstructure like the bridge and other items on the main deck are most likely collapsed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom