Whats your favorite ID book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Helmut Debelius (sp?) has some really nice books on fish and inverts. I think they're mostly of the south Pacific and Indian oceans though.

They're generally regional; if you tell us what region you are interested in, we can be of more assistance.

The Paul Humann, Ned DeLoach book for your region. If it's a COLLABORATION WITH STEENE AND ALLEN, all the better.

I have an interactive DVD for my obsolete Windows laptop. I'm pretty sure this is it:

Reef Fish Identification, - Interactive Edition DVD

It is searchable by a variety of criteria. For example, if all you knew about the fish was that it was torpedo-shaped and found in mid-water, this DVD could narrow it down to, say, a dozen suspects and you'd go from there. Pretty cool and easier to lug on a dive trip than a book if you already lug your computer.

This book, CORAL REEF FISHES: INDO-PACIFIC AND CARIBBEAN
is more comprehensive than any other that I've seen and, perhaps counter-intuitively, the drawings are often better than photos in distinguishing between similar-looking species.

There is no book as comprehensive as THE SEA SLUG FORUM, but Neville Coleman's NUDIBRANCH ENCYCLOPEDIA: CATALOGUE OF ASIA/INDO-PACIFIC SEA SLUGS would probably come closest. I wouldn't pay $212 for it, though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom