Public meeting on the subject of opening Wakulla to scuba divers Thurs, Jan 19 at 7pm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
If possible, PLEASE attend the meeting and lend your support. This is as close as we have ever been to opening Wakulla to divers, but we need every seat filled so that we can show the decision-makers that we are serious about supporting the park if we are allowed access.

Public meeting opening Wakulla
Thurs, Jan 19, 2012
7:00pm (Eastern) until 10:00pm
Wakulla County Agriculture Extension Office
The Arena
84 Cedar Avenue
Crawfordville, Florida

Do you mean divers, or the DIVERS that have exclusive access to the place?

I mean goodly folk who love the sport for the sake of communing with nature and sharing positive experiences with others. Those folks are currently barred from Wakulla Spring, and we are trying to change that.

Got as close as I could, took the off-season boat trip over the headpool. Awesome, magnificent place. Stunning. Would love to dive the cavern, that alone would be well worth a trip south...

30 deg 14 min 07.37 sec N
84 deg 18 min 10.30 sec W

Nobody ever heard of this place. ERBzine 0501: Weissmuller in Florida

-so who is resisting opening the state park to divers?

Last edited:
-so who is resisting opening the state park to divers?

1. People who operate tour boats for the park
2. Former Park Manager Sandy Cook
3. WKPP
4. Scientists that work with WKPP
5. People who have been fed misinformation by the groups/people listed above

"misinformation" includes arguments that scuba divers would damage the water quality at Wakulla, and are more dangerous to manatees than boat propellers, arguments that divers would interfere with swimmers, and otherwise disrupt "normal" park visitors, and destroy the natural beauty of the park...

Really, I'm not making this stuff up.

WKPP's badge of excellence is that only they can dive Wakulla Springs without incident. Won't lose this without a cosmic fight. Ask Florida State Parks.

Wakulla Springs is unquestionably the most spectacular spring in the entire karst. Immense headpool, could support three or four diveshops. Hetland, you had no chance going into this. Life is deliciously grey, neither black nor white. DIR divers are some of the best diving acquaintances that I have. Few, if any that I know, could dive Wakulla either. Olympus remains for the olympians.

OK ScubaBoarders, how many of you dived Wakulla Springs???

Never heard of it, right?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom