Scuba diver wants Coast Guard to let his team search for sunken Mandy Ness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian Pasic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
A scuba diver who dove on the Lady Mary wreckage in 2009 wantsthe Coast Guard to send him and a team back underwater tophotograph and videotape the capsized Mandy Ness fishingboat. The Mandy Ness capsized 10 miles off the coast of Long Beach Islandon Jan. 10, taking the life of Capt. Jim Mears. Mears’ crewmate,22-year-old Trevor Horan, escaped the capsizing.

Now, scuba diver Steve Gatto, of Sicklerville, Camden County, hascalled on the Coast Guard to let him and a team of divers assist inthe search for the sunken Mandy Ness and then dive the wreckageonce it’s found.

I don't think theres any problem with this.. When theres loss of life its important to find answers so people get closure.

that team has proven quite capable in the past. should be interesting

A scuba diver who dove on the Lady Mary wreckage in 2009 wants the Coast Guard to send him and a team back underwater to photograph and videotape the capsized Mandy Ness fishing boat.

Now, scuba diver Steve Gatto, of Sicklerville, Camden County, has called on the Coast Guard to let him and a team of divers assist in the search for the sunken Mandy Ness and then dive the wreckage once it’s found.
Just who is funding this project? I sure hope not the tax payers! I don't want to pay for these guys to go fun diving.

The Mandy Ness capsized 10 miles off the coast of Long Beach Islandon Jan. 10, taking the life of Capt. Jim Mears. Mears’ crewmate,22-year-old Trevor Horan, escaped the capsizing.

When there's loss of life its important to find answers so people get closure.
Since someone was able to survive they already have answers, and the family has probably long ago addressed the Capt passing. Why go thru it again? When a Captain dies on his boat he IS buried at sea and probably right where he wants to be (I know if I died at sea you can just consider me buried). So what do they plan to do, recover the body so it can be brought back, cremated and buried at sea? :shakehead:

To me it sounds like these guys want to go dive a shipwreck. I don't have a problem with that, just call it what it is and pay for it themselves.

Just who is funding this project? I sure hope not the tax payers! I don't want to pay for these guys to go fun diving.

Since someone was able to survive they already have answers, and the family has probably long ago addressed the Capt passing. Why go thru it again? When a Captain dies on his boat he IS buried at sea and probably right where he wants to be (I know if I died at sea you can just consider me buried). So what do they plan to do, recover the body so it can be brought back, cremated and buried at sea? :shakehead:

To me it sounds like these guys want to go dive a shipwreck. I don't have a problem with that, just call it what it is and pay for it themselves.

They do indeed pay for it themselves. Why would you think otherwise. These guys have done a lot of research and exploration, all on their on dime.

They do indeed pay for it themselves. Why would you think otherwise. These guys have done a lot of research and exploration, all on their on dime.
Perhaps because the first post implies they're asking the Coast Guard to cover the costs. That is probably not accurate, but that's the way it reads.

Strickly because the wording is not clear in the first post.
~wants the Coast Guard to send him and a team back underwater to photograph and videotape the capsized Mandy Ness fishingboat.~

~Now, scuba diver Steve Gatto, of Sicklerville, Camden County, has called on the Coast Guard to let him and a team of divers assist in the search for the sunken Mandy Ness and then dive the wreckageonce it’s found.
Sure makes it sound like they are asking for help?? Otherwise wouldn't they just go out and dive? If you call the Coast Guard asking for assistance that is using government funds is it not?

The ocean is a vast place that is open to all US citizens as far as I know. At least here IF you can find anything left of a wreck, you go dive it. Taking artifacts is one thing, going diving is another.

Now if they are funding it themselves, go for it!

Back
Top Bottom