SeaQuest I-3 BCD problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fred.may

New
Reaction score
My wife and I recently experienced runaway inflation on our SeaQuest I3 BCD's, causing an uncontrolled ascent. Luckily, one was only 30ft, the other was skillfully aborted mid-ascent.
The problem appeared to be a sticking valve on both BCD's.
Both control levers were subsequently exercised many times on the surface, and the problem did not persist through several days of diving.
The BCD's are about 2 years old and have been used routinely with no issues. The gear is always post-dive rinsed and thoroughtly cleaned and appear in pristine condition.

Is anyone aware of similar problems with the I3? Or any preventative maintenance procedure associated with the valve or control lever? I have contacted Aqualung but they are very slow on responding.

This could be a serious issue for ourselves, or anyone using the I3's. If I can't get an answer or resolution
I will have to trash the BCD's in favor of a classic Air2 style inflator.

did you take them in for servicing or inspect the i3 lever/mechanism(s) during the 2 years? i used an extremely cruddy pro qd i3 and never had any problems with it.

I've had a sticky inflator on my traditional style due to a little bit of salt in it. Because I have a BX inflator (Zeagle), I can remove that part from my BC and now I rinse it separately. Of course you can't do that, but what I would do is pay a little more attention to rinsing the i3, hosing it intentionally and moving the handle as the water runs over it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom