That's the way, uh-huh uh-huh I like it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We thought about cancelling our dives with Kevin Lee after looking at milky water all day yesterday, but figured we might get more than the three or four feet vis we expected. We got much more. We dropped anchor on one of the Redondo Artificial reefs and Merry gave a big thumbs up from the bow. We could easily see fifteen feet down the line and there was no dirty layer in the water column this time.
As we hit the reef we spread out in search of photo subjects. I found another octopus nest and called Kevin over. Merry was on the rock pile looking at lobsters...everywhere.
After a short dive we discussed where to head next. We were getting bored of the barge, Avalon, crane, landing craft and Flat Rock, and I didn't feel like wasting gas to look for clean water on the south side. It was decided to hit the pilings off the Topaz jetty.
The line I tied last month was broken. I followed it and found that someone had pulled it tight and wrapped it around some kelp. I untwisted the line and wrapped it around a third piling, then headed back to the first one. The line was now too short, so I added twenty feet of cave line. I'll re-lay the line soon and add one or two more pilings. I'm hoping to have a loop between five pilings so divers can find the easily them from the beach.
As I was about to end my dive, Merry came over and took me to see a nudibranch she found. It turned out to be our first Catriona columbiana sighting! Kevin said he's found several, all at Vet's. What a brat!
I found something that I can't identify. Anyone have a clue what this is?

Topaz1-1.jpg

Ready to dive
PhilandKevin.jpg

PhilsReef1.jpg

PhilsReef4.jpg

PhilsReef3.jpg

PhilsReef5.jpg

PhilsReef6.jpg

PhilsReef2.jpg

PhilsReef7.jpg

PhilsReef8.jpg

Topaz2-1.jpg

Topaz4-1.jpg

Topaz5-1.jpg

Topaz6-1.jpg

Topaz7.jpg

Topaz9.jpg

Topaz11.jpg

Topaz12.jpg

Topaz13.jpg

Merry's Catriona columbiana

Topaz18.jpg

Topaz19.jpg

Beautiful series! What's in the eighth shot? Worm, Tunicate? Love the sandy doris and the Fringehead closeup. Merry's Catriona is gorgeous as well!

Great shots of the Fringehead.

Tube worm surrounded by hydroids. I left my wide angle lens at home thing we would have horrible vis. I saw Chris White's video from Marineland today. Apparently it cleared up everywhere.

Thanks for posting, great shots. I can't believe it cleared up in one day, just our luck Saturday on the Sundiver, VIS was pretty low.
Would love to give Topaz jetty a try sometime, sure is close by and don't have to lug all the gear up and CTC.

Oh, the pictures just kept getting better! The Catriona columbiana is fabulous; I have never seen a photograph of this one before.

Max, if I come down to visit SoCal again, may I go diving with you guys?

Amazing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom