Need an Opinion on Operator in SD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cwhite6

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello again folks! I will be visiting CA again (SD this time instead of LA) and I am wanting to go diving. I have at least three different weekends I will be there between Feb. 11-12 and the middle of April. I am looking at renting gear from the shop San Diego Divers. One of the main reasons is that I am buying all my equipment around March and these guys rent BP/W setups. I am planning on buying one of these, but I have never used one before. This way I can check them out. I am also going to hire a dive guide from them that is familiar with that setup to dive LaJolla with me. Has anyone used them before and/or have opinions about them? I am planning on doing one, maybe two shore dives the first weekend at LaJolla, but one of the later weekends I may try to rent gear and grab a seat on a boat for a 2 or 3 tank dive. Maybe even meet some of the wonderful locals like I did in LA (big shout out to Gilbert and JP here!). I may even drive up to LA and dive. Anyway, opinions are welcome!

San Diego Divers is an excellent dive shop. I would highly recommend them. They are my local dive shop. Everyone who works there is very knowledgeable about dive equipment and local diving spots. They will give you the personal attention you need to help you determine if a back plate/wing works for you. You cannot go wrong.

San Diego Divers is an excellent dive shop. I would highly recommend them. They are my local dive shop. Everyone who works there is very knowledgeable about dive equipment and local diving spots. They will give you the personal attention you need to help you determine if a back plate/wing works for you. You cannot go wrong.

Thanks Ramsy!

Try: The "Marissa" dive boat. It is clean and the crew is great. Also "Waterhorse" charters.
I have been on the "Marissa" but have not been on the Waterhorse.

Good Divin,

SoCalRich

I suggest using this shop. The only shop you need for all tech needs and the tours with Brent are excellent.

I've been on the Horizon dive boat and I liked it. It's huge, has Nitrox capability and the grub is pretty decent.

I don't know any dive shops in San Diego, so can't comment on that. However, if you were to drive up to LA and do some diving up here, then Hollywood Divers rent out Halcyon Infinity BPW.

I've been on the Horizon dive boat and I liked it. It's huge, has Nitrox capability and the grub is pretty decent.

I don't know any dive shops in San Diego, so can't comment on that. However, if you were to drive up to LA and do some diving up here, then Hollywood Divers rent out Halcyon Infinity BPW.

The Horizon is a very large boat that typically does multi-day liveaboard diving trips. It's nice, but pricey. We have three main boats that all operate off basically the same dock. Marissa charters, Waterhorse Charters and the Lois Ann.

Personally, I'd avoid the Lois Ann. The boat is tall and has a narrow beam so it rocks quite a bit and there's no canopy so you can end up with a load of sunburnt, seasick divers on a breezy sunny socal day. Marissa is run by some pretty serious divers and has nitrox capabilities right on the boat (partial pressure - any mix you want). Waterhorse Charters has a slightly larger boat and nitrox capabilities on the dock (banked 32%, I think - you should call and verify) but is a little more expensive. Generally I think they're very similar, but I tend to find more classes on the Waterhorse and more divers on the Marissa; but that's probably just a coincidence.

I'm biased because my wife crews on the Marissa but we're friends with both of the operators, neither will steer you wrong. Feel free to PM me if you need any more information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom