Calling SSI divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freewillie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My nephew recently bought scuba lessons through Groupon. Decent local LDS. Service good, offered lots beginner discount on starter gear.

Dropped him off for his lessons. Asked when his ocean dives will be scheduled. Was told they will make sure he is safe in pool first.

The shop is Scuba Schools International and will get SSI c card. I'm not really familiar with them, the only other agency I'm aware of is NAUI.

Is anyone SSI certified? And will he have any problems dive shops when he goes on vacation with me?

I sat in on an SSI crossover course, though I am not an SSI instructor.

SSI is as widely recognized as any other major certification agency. It demands that instructor be directly associated with an SSI store so it does not have the footprint of some larger agencies because instructor and stores have to stayed tied together. (In contrast, both NAUI and PADI instructors, for example, can be completely independent from any dive store, though in practical fact most instructors are associated with a dive shop for practical reasons.)

SSI is recognized for the quality of instruction and materials.

Easy answer. Yes he can dive with you.

Nor does he have to limit himself to only taking SSI courses.

I am a SSI Masterdiver that switched over to PADI for my DM and strictly due to there was no one teaching SSI DiveCon where I am at. Within the industry it seems that PADI, SSI, and NAUI are the top recognized cards out there. There should be no problems at all. I was very impressed with the way SSi presents the material and the leway they allow the instructor to work with students to accomodate the students comfort levels. Of course the agencies all train to the same standards so the biggest thing is if the person is comfortable with the instructor

Is anyone SSI certified? And will he have any problems dive shops when he goes on vacation with me?
I am. Since 1981 - actually I was NASDS till they merged with SSI. Never any problems with dive shops or the card being accepted. I travel fairly extensively throughout the Caribbean.

SSI :: SSI Scuba Schools International :: take your dive @ diveSSI.com
History

Over 40 Years of Experience

For over 40 years SSI has been known in the diving industry for providing high quality education and outstanding training materials for divers of all levels. SSI was founded in 1970 and is the largest school based training agency in the world.
We have a forum here also: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ssi-scuba-schools-international/

Last edited:
I have my OW/AOW & some specialty certs with SSI. We have been diving with many different outfits and have never had any issue with a dive operation not recognizing our SSI card.
I feel that all my training was thorough and safely taught.

I am an SSI OW and Nitrox diver so far. The major difference starting out I noticed is PADI will give you their magical AOW card right out of OW if you take the class with them. SSI requires you to fully complete 4 specialties and have 25 logged dives. The PADI one you do not fully complete the courses in AOW I believe. It is getting kind of expensive for me to take four separate courses at around $150 plus me renting the gear to finish my AOW. So, if some outfits in your area require a AOW card for some dives, that may be important to you.

SSI has a good system I have both my OW/AOW I should have taken my S&R and Master but I moved to an area that does not really has SSI just PADI...and I'm not fond of them at all. But to each his own!

Dropped him off for his lessons. Asked when his ocean dives will be scheduled. Was told they will make sure he is safe in pool first.

I've never heard of not having a schedule for when the O/W dives will be.

I have SSI OW, AOW, and Nitrox. My LDS was very thorough with their instruction - well beyond minimums. (This is not true of all shops or instructors from what I have read, and from my wife's experience.) I liked the requirement to have experience after OW before going for AOW.

If the instruction is first rate, the agency name on the card is not a factor to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom