Recommendations for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good point - my local dive shop said the same thing. My nephew is from SoCal, so he could get certified locally.
If he's in SoCal, I'd highly recommend getting certified by Karim Hanza (Classes). He'll have a super solid foundation.

But isn't Cozumel mainly drift diving - and would that be good for a beginner?
Yes it's drift diving. The dive masters there know which dive sites have gentle easy currents to take you to. But it's that 200 feet of crystal clear water that he will remember for the rest of his life. Coz is not expensive and it's a great value.

My first recommendation would be Bonaire or Curacao for nice easy diving and also to get the experience of both boat and shore diving.... 2nd recommendation would be Little Cayman Beach Resort.......especially if you want great vis, little to no current, and basically all inclusive so a very easy and totally relaxing trip for both of you..

I do agree with @Cthippo that it would be best to do the full OW cert locally and then the transition to warm clear tropics will be a breeze... If he's not up for that then you can do a referral and complete all of the academic and confined water work locally and then do the OW dives in the tropics.

Very cool for you as a diving uncle to be gaining a new dive buddy and having a passion that you can share with your nephew!!!
Hi there! I am a new diver too and would LOVE to try Bonaire but could you advise how to best arrange? We don't have a huge budget which may be prohibitive on its own but also wouldn't want to do the independent diving without a guide yet. Any tips would be appreciated!

I don’t understand the appeal of Cozumel. The water has great clarity and current is fun, but I dove there for a week and found the reefs dead and with not much life; there are much better destinations in the Caribbean for a new 18 yo diver.
Roatan (Cocoview specifically) would be my first choice if your both looking to log a lot of dives; followed by GC or LCBR, Bonaire (logistics can be tricky if you’re not accustomed to shore diving), the Florida Keys are fun and have a lot of nightlife, Belize has some pristine diving. There even better options in Indonesia/Palau but that’s an investment.

Hi there! I am a new diver too and would LOVE to try Bonaire but could you advise how to best arrange? We don't have a huge budget which may be prohibitive on its own but also wouldn't want to do the independent diving without a guide yet. Any tips would be appreciated!
Buddy Dive in Bonaire might be a good choice (they have both boat dives and you can arrange shore dive DMs). Hiring a guide is going to increase your budget, so you will need to factor that in. But honestly, a LOT of the shore dives on Bonaire can be done by a newer diver without a DM without unnecessary risk (Salt Pier, The Lake, Invisibles, Oil Slick, Tolo, Karpata all come to mind).
If your being budget conscious and wanting a DM since your new divers (totally understand and respect that, btw) you may want to research for all-inclusive dive resorts like Cocoview or Anthony’s in Roatan, or LCBR (although that’s not cheap).

You might consider Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers on Grand Cayman. Grand Cayman is not hard to get to and not as expensive to fly to as some other Caribbean locations. The package includes a car, accommodations, breakfast, 2 dives/day (more dives available). The rooms have full kitchen, cook your own meals as much as you want, or don't. They put a guide in the water on every dive, you can go with the guide or dive on your own. They have a fall special Aug 5-Nov 3

Buddy Dive in Bonaire might be a good choice (they have both boat dives and you can arrange shore dive DMs). Hiring a guide is going to increase your budget, so you will need to factor that in. But honestly, a LOT of the shore dives on Bonaire can be done by a newer diver without a DM without unnecessary risk (Salt Pier, The Lake, Invisibles, Oil Slick, Tolo, Karpata all come to mind).
If your being budget conscious and wanting a DM since your new divers (totally understand and respect that, btw) you may want to research for all-inclusive dive resorts like Cocoview or Anthony’s in Roatan, or LCBR (although that’s not cheap).
Thank you!

I was in Maui Dec 10-15 this past year, water was great, no wetsuit for snorkelling and 3 mil for diving. I would not discard a Hawaii certification.

If you can get there asia has some of the best spots for life and learning schools. Its super cheap as well.

I wrote a quick piece outlinnig my favourite dive spots and some places to learn.

Key Largo or Key West. Key Largo has lots of dive sites available - wrecks, reefs and even Christ of the Abyss. Dive the Dry Tortugas out of Key West. You can take a boat or a seaplane to dive the Dry Tortugas. Diving near a fort and getting there by seaplane would be memorable.

Back
Top Bottom